From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopalians: Presiding bishop writes to President Bush on crisis in Liberia

From dmack@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:50:04 -0400

July 23, 2003

2003-166

Episcopalians: Presiding bishop writes to President Bush on
crisis in Liberia

The Honorable George W. Bush

The White House

Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

The urgency of the deteriorating situation in Liberia causes me
once again to write you on this crisis and ask that the United
States take the lead in intervening in that troubled land.   The
ongoing crisis in Liberia will seriously challenge the stability
of West Africa and add to an even greater humanitarian crisis as
thousands of people are forcibly displaced.  While recognizing
that there are many demands upon our nation in these difficult
days, Liberia cries out for assistance both because of the
conditions and our historic connections there.	The Episcopal
Church also has historic ties and maintains a covenant
relationship with our Church there today.

I strongly urge the United States, with other nations, to act
immediately to deploy peace keeping forces to end the
hostilities and achieve a cease-fire.	Only then can an orderly
transition be made from the current chaos to a legitimate and
stable government.  Current conditions make it almost impossible
for government and non-government organizations to provide
necessary humanitarian aid or to plan, much less begin,
much-needed reconstruction. The long-term stability not only of
Liberia, but of the region, can only come about with the
leadership of the United States.

As always, Mr. President, this letter comes with my prayers for
you in these very difficult times.

Yours sincerely,

The Most Reverend Frank T. Griswold

Presiding Bishop and Primate