From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3521 HIV/AIDS charity celebrates 15 years of exceptional

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:51:23 +0100

ACNS 3521     |     ENGLAND	|     24 JULY 2003

HIV/AIDS charity celebrates 15 years of exceptional ministry

by Matthew Davies

The CARA trust, a community of friendship of people living with
HIV/AIDS, celebrated fifteen years - as a fully constituted charity - of
pastoral and educational ministry yesterday at a service in the Lady
Chapel of Westminster Abbey.

Founded in 1987, CARA provides 12,000 hours of service each year to
people suffering with HIV/AIDS who experience isolation and exclusion as
a consequence of social attitudes to their sexual orientation or their
history of drug use. In addition to offering a friendly, welcoming
environment, CARA also helps people to build "invaluable social networks
and friendships" which makes its services widely sought, especially from
people of faith communities.

The fear, stigma and prejudice that are often associated with HIV/AIDS
make it difficult for people to openly address the issues that they face
within a church environment, especially within African communities. CARA
provides an opportunity for Churches to show solidarity and support for
those affected by HIV/AIDS.

During the service the Revd Graeme Napier, Minor Canon and Succentor of
Westminster Abbey, said, "HIV/AIDS brings together three great Christian
themes: thanksgiving; remembrance; and hope. We remember and thank God
for the lives of those who have lived with and those who have died from
HIV and AIDS, and pray in hope that an effective cure will be found."

The prayers, which were led by Peter Hudson, a friend of the CARA
community, gave thanks to God for fifteen years of the CARA trust: "for
our fellowship together as a community of love and friendship; for those
who are, and have been, part of that community; for the gifts of
friendship and care that we share; that we may continue to enrich the
lives of all who look to us for support and assistance."

During the final hymn, members of the congregation were led in a
candlelit procession to the East Cloister where the Succentor offered a
final blessing.

After the service, the Chairman of CARA, Mr John McClean Fox, thanked
all those who have supported CARA in the past and asked for continuing
support in "the difficult and demanding times ahead."

CARA prayer:

Living God, source of light and life: we come to you as broken members
of your body. Your strength is our strength and your being is our being.
Grant us wisdom in our work, your love in our pain, your peace in our
hearts. Amen.