From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Committee approves ratification of Robinson

From "Mika Larson" <mini_mika@earthlink.net>
Date Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:58:06 -0400

August 1, 2003

Committee approves ratification of Robinson

[ENS] After listening to two hours of testimony from bishops, deputies
and visitors Friday morning, the legislative committee on Prayer Book
and Liturgy endorsed the ratification of the Rev. V. Gene Robinson, as
bishop-coadjutor of New Hampshire. The measure now heads to the House of
Deputies for a vote.

Robinson is the first openly gay priest to be elected bishop in the
Episcopal Church.

"The committee has made its decision," committee co-chair, the Rev.
Karolyn Keil-Kuhr of the Diocese of Montana, told the ballroom packed
with at least 500 attendees; some 200 more were in the lobby, and 100
more were in an overflow room.

Keil-Kuhr asked that the decision be "received with grace" by those in
attendance. "We would appreciate no applause, no cheering. I remind you
this is not the final action," she said, announcing that the committee
has "voted to adopt resolution C045."

Bishops with jurisdiction in geographic areas of the church will also
vote on the measure.

More on this story will be posted soon.