From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Bishops concerned about 2006 convention dates

From "Mika Larson" <mini_mika@earthlink.net>
Date Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:50:30 -0400

August 4, 2003

Bishops concerned about 2006 convention dates

by Richelle Thompson

[ENS] Expressing concern about the proposed dates of the 75th General
Convention, the House of Bishops moved to table a resolution until
Friday that would set the site in Columbus, Ohio. Several bishops said
the proposed dates of June 12-19, 2006, would make it difficult for
young people who are still in school to attend. They asked the Presiding
Bishop's office to explore whether it was possible to change the dates.

The Rt. Rev. Ken Price, bishop suffragan of the Diocese of Southern Ohio
(which would be the host diocese), explained the convention center
already had gone out of its way to accommodate the requested dates, even
moving the dates of the National Hockey League draft. "I think changing
it now would be extremely difficult," said Price.

But the Rt. Rev. Catherine Roskam, bishop suffragan of New York, said it
was worth the effort to consider changing the dates. Otherwise, it
"delivers a terrible double message to our young people."

Other action

The bishops passed several other pieces of legislation on Monday,
including the adoption of the Revised Common Lectionary for liturgical
use. If the House of Deputies concurs, it would replace the table of
readings currently printed in The Book of Common Prayer on the first day
of Advent in 2004.

While some bishops argued against the measure, citing costs and concerns
about usage, others said it would conform with many of the available
teaching and preaching resources. It also includes more of the Biblical
stories about women, Roskam said.

ELCA Bishop Hanson visits

The Rt. Rev. Mark Hanson, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America, addressed the House of Bishops Monday morning,
outlining both the successes of Called to Common Mission and its future
challenges. "It's very clear that because of our full communion
relationship, together we are hearing and heeding God's call to be
engaged in God's mission, together we are receiving, respecting and
reconciling," he said.

Episcopal and ELCA congregations around the country are working together
in starting new missions, developing resources, building campus
ministries and working closely on advocacy for public policy issues.

Hanson said both denominations face challenges of addressing complex
issues of human sexuality, biomedical ethics and moving from the
principles of just war to a just peace.

"I am convinced these challenges will not overwhelm us . because of our
firm belief that the Holy Spirit is at work among and with us,'' he
said.

Hanson also told the bishops: "We will uphold you in prayer during these
next few days."