From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Anderson elected deputies vice president

From "Mika Larson" <mini_mika@earthlink.net>
Date Tue, 5 Aug 2003 18:53:07 -0400

August 5, 2003

Anderson elected deputies' vice president

by Sally Vallongo
Convention Daily

[ENS] Bonnie Anderson from Michigan, chair of the Program, Budget and
Finance Joint Standing Committee for two terms, was elected vice
president of the House of Deputies today.

Long active in parish, diocesan and national affairs, Anderson said her
decision to run was urged by several colleagues after Vince Curry,
former vice president, announced he would not seek the position. "I
thought about it and said a few prayers," Anderson said Tuesday, after
the election, adding, "I feel called to this."

But the new post raises bittersweet feelings, Anderson admitted.
"Program, Budget and Finance is a hard job but I've met wonderful
people." And, no matter which way today's election went, the new vice
president said she would not have sought a third term. "It's time for
someone else to take that appointment."

Because Province V elected Anderson, 60, to the Executive Council, the
Pontiac, Mich., woman will be performing double duty during the next
triennium. "This is good because while the vice president of deputies is
an invited guest on executive council, they typically don't have a vote.
I'll also have a vote on executive council, so I think that's good for
me."

Anderson brings a depth of General Convention experience to her new
positions. She's been a deputy for five terms, has served on the
deputies' President's Council of Advice and has helped lead anti-racism
training. A retired instructor at the University of Michigan, her areas
of specialization include women's studies, natural resources and
organizational development.