From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3539 Repose of Metropolitan Anthony of Sourozh

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:52:38 +0100

ACNS 3539     |     UK	   |	 6 AUGUST 2003

Repose of Metropolitan Anthony of Sourozh

The Diocese of Sourozh of the Russian Orthodox Church has announced with
sadness the death of its beloved founder and archpastor, His Eminence,
Metropolitan Anthony of Sourozh, who died peacefully on Monday, 4th August,
2003, at the age of 89.

Metropolitan Anthony served the Russian Orthodox Church in Great Britain and
Ireland for more than fifty years, earning the respect and affection of many
thousands of people throughout the world for his deep humanity and tireless
witness to the Gospel of Christ. May his memory be eternal!

Special prayers for the repose of his soul take place in the Russian
Orthodox Cathedral of the Dormition and All Saints, 67 Ennismore Gardens,
London SW7 1NH, at 12.30 pm and 6.30 pm each day, except Saturday evening
and Sunday morning.

Arrangements for the funeral of Metropolitan Anthony are now being made and
will be posted on the diocesan website www.sourozh.org.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has paid tribute to
Metropolitan Anthony of Sourozh:

"It is with great sadness that I learnt this morning [Tuesday] of the death
of His Eminence Metropolitan Anthony of Sourozh. Metropolitan Anthony was a
dearly loved and respected teacher, pastor and bishop, whose wisdom and
spirituality touched the lives of countless people within and beyond the
Russian Orthodox Church.

"Metropolitan Anthony has made an immense contribution to the Christian life
of this country over fifty years, and the whole Church is richer for his
teaching and ministry. I was deeply moved that he was able to be present for
a dinner at Lambeth Palace two months ago, at which I and others were able
to express some small part of our thanks for all he had given to us in the
Anglican Church by his life and teaching. I send my prayers and condolences
to Bishop Basil, Archbishop Anatoly, and the Diocese of Sourozh."

Metropolitan Anthony was one of three people who each gave a week of
Devotional Addresses at the 1978 Lambeth Conference.