From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3541 Episcopal Church admits Venezuela as a new diocese and

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:22:24 +0100

ACNS 3541     |     USA     |	  6 AUGUST 2003

Episcopal Church admits Venezuela as a new diocese and upholds
interfaith work

by Matthew Davies

The Chair of the Committee of National and International Affairs, Bishop
Thomas Shaw of Massachusetts, introduced the motion that "the 74th
General Convention [of ECUSA] supports the Archbishop of Canterbury and
other Anglican leaders who have jointly affirmed with Islamic leaders in
various countries our shared desire to honor those teachings in our
respective traditions which work to avoid coercion and respect
individual liberty."

It further resolved that particular attention be paid to vigorously
oppose any nation's or other governmental body's imposition or
continuation of a legal system that violates fundamental human rights.

The General Convention urges the application of these principles by the
United States Government to the reconstruction underway in Iraq and
Afghanistan, in peace negotiations in Sudan, and in ongoing discussions
with Nigeria and Indonesia, with particular attention to the rights of
religious minorities, women, and those seeking to change their faith.
The motion was passed unanimously and with no discussion.

In another move signifying the expansion of the Episcopal Church, USA,
Venezuela was admitted as a diocese in Province IX yesterday, the same
diocese that Puerto Rico was admitted to last week.

"Thank you for admitting us into the plenary," said Francisco Salazar,
Venezuela's deputy. "To be part of the body of Christ will help us to
accomplish our mission in a better way and feel that we are part of the
larger community."