From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3544 Archbishop to convene primates meeting

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:47:24 +0100

ACNS 3544     |     LAMBETH PALACE     |     8 AUGUST 2003

Archbishop to convene primates meeting

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, is to convene an
extraordinary meeting of the Primates of the Anglican Communion this autumn.
The meeting will take place in London in mid-October and it is expected that
invitations will be sent out in the next week.

Dr Williams said that the effects of recent developments at the ECUSA
General Convention were being felt throughout the Communion and there was a
need for the Primates to meet to consider them.

"I am clear that the anxieties caused by recent developments have reached
the point where we will need to sit down and discuss their consequences. I
hope that in our deliberations we will find that there are ways forward in
this situation which can preserve our respect for one another and for the
bonds that unite us.

"I hope we can use the time between now and then to reflect, to pray, to
consult and to take counsel."

The original release from Lambeth Palace is available from
http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/releases/030808.html