From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Honors Vice President Addie J. Butler

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:34:43 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 12, 2003

ELCA Honors Vice President Addie J. Butler
03-CWA-13-KK

     MILWAUKEE (ELCA) - Upon completion of six years of service
as vice president of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA), Dr. Addie J. Butler was presented with the Servus Dei
Medal at the 2003 ELCA Churchwide Assembly. The Servus Dei Medal
is given to honor retiring officers of the ELCA.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of
the ELCA, is meeting here Aug. 11-17 at the Midwest Airlines
Center. There are about 2,500 people participating, including
1,031 ELCA voting members. The theme for the biennial assembly is
"Making Christ Known: For the Healing of the World."
     Church Council members praised Butler's ability,
graciousness and generous sharing of time that characterized the
fulfillment of her responsibilities as vice president. Butler
began service in the office on Nov. 1, 1997 and will conclude her
term on Oct. 31, 2003. The commendation reads in part: "[Dr.
Butler] demonstrated forthright commitment to the faith and
genuine compassion for the people in congregations and
communities throughout the territory of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America."
     Butler was joined by fellow ELCA officers on the stage as
the Servus Dei Medal was conferred by the Rev. Mark S. Hanson,
ELCA presiding bishop. She received a standing ovation. In her
acceptance, Butler said, "I did not do these things in my own
strength, but in the strength of God working through me. I am
profoundly thankful for the opportunity to serve in this way."
Butler concluded with a photo montage of moments from her six
years of service to convey "all that is in my heart that words
cannot express."
     A formal reception for Butler is planned for Aug. 15.
-- -- --
Information about the ELCA Churchwide Assembly can be found at
http://www.elca.org/assembly/03 on the Web.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news