From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Disciples News Brief

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:31:16 -0700

Date: August 22, 2003
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Amy Shockley
Phone: 317-713-2495
E-mail: ashockley@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

JACKSON SEEKS FORGIVENESS FROM CONGREGATION AND DENOMINATION
The Rev. Alvin O. Jackson, pastor, National City Christian Church,
Washington D.C., and moderator of the Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ), is asking for forgiveness and taking personal responsibility for
the act and consequences of using sermon materials authored by others.

In a letter to Disciples leadership dated August 22, Jackson acknowledged
his responsibility for the current problems at NCCC. "I take full
responsibility for borrowing liberally from the sermons of others," wrote
Jackson. "I'm sorry for the poor choices I made trying to quickly move
beyond the issue."  For the complete story from Communication Ministries,
go to: http://www.disciples.org/dns/Releases2003/0332.htm

FIFTEEN RESOLUTIONS PREPARED FOR GENERAL ASSEMBLY
During the upcoming General Assembly business sessions, voting
representatives of congregations, clergy, regions, general units and
Disciples-related institutions will thoughtfully consider and vote on 15
resolutions brought before the General Board.  While these resolutions will
be provided in the business docket that is mailed to all attendees on Aug.
18, you may preview the resolutions online by going to:
http://www.disciples.org/ga03/resolutions/index.htm.

RECONCILIATION MISSION OFFERING MATERIALS AVAILABLE ONLINE
Disciples have made a commitment to nurture reconciliation by weeding out
racism in our church and our society. Your congregation can support this
ambitious ministry by giving generously to the Reconciliation Mission
Offering, which most congregations will receive Sept. 28 and Oct. 5, 2003.
A thorough anti-racism bibliography and a special Bible commentary written
by GMP elect, Dr. William Chris Hobgood, is available online ONLY. View all
materials at: http://www.churchfinancecouncil.org/pages/dmf/rec03/index.htm

Volunteers Needed for General Assembly
During General Assembly in Charlotte, NC, volunteers are needed to assist
with communion on the evening of Saturday, Oct. 18 and Tuesday, Oct. 21. If
you would like to volunteer, please contact: Bobby Richardson, 9016 US 158,
Stokesdale, NC 27357, phone: 334-643-4425, fax: 336-643-8636, or e-mail:
bobnmar.richar02@att.net

NEW ISSUE OF DISCIPLES TODAY AVAILABLE
Disciples Today is an online publication of the Christian Church (Disciples
of Christ), which allows Disciples to display their passion for writing.
Read the latest issue with a focus on establishing new churches at
http://www.disciples.org/cm/D2DAY0803/index.htm

WEEK OF COMPASSION UPDATES
Learn more from Week of Compassion by visiting:
http://www.weekofcompassion.org/pages/updates/aug0603.html.
Individual contributions for Week of Compassion may be sent directly to
Week of Compassion, P.O. Box 1986, Indianapolis, IN 46206. If you would
like a particular church to receive credit for your contribution, please
include that information.

*The Disciples News Brief is distributed weekly by Communication
Ministries. For changes, additions or deletions to our distribution list,
please contact news@cm.disciples.org.