From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3562 Archbishop of Canterbury takes on new roles

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 12:36:58 +0100

ACNS 3562     |     ENGLAND	|     27 AUGUST 2003

Archbishop of Canterbury takes on new roles

By Matthew Davies

[ACNS source: Industrial Christian Fellowship / Greenbelt] In an effort
to encourage individuals to deepen their understanding of God's purpose
in the world of work, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams,
has agreed to take up the role of President of the Industrial Christian
Fellowship (ICF).

His involvement will give added prominence to the historic Christian
group, originally made famous by the work of World War I hero, Woodbine
Willie.

Dr Williams' appointment was today welcomed by the chairman of the ICF's
Council, the Rt Hon Lord Weatherill.

"I am delighted that Dr Williams has decided to throw his weight behind
the crucial work carried out by the Industrial Christian Fellowship,"
said Lord Weatherill. "We will benefit enormously from his encouragement
and experience."

Dr Williams is also to become Patron of Greenbelt, an annual Christian
arts festival in the UK. The news was announced to some 15,000 people
attending this year's festival at Cheltenham racecourse.

"This is wonderfully exciting news and we are absolutely thrilled," said
Jude Levermore, the Chair of the Festival. "Dr Williams will be the most
wonderful figurehead for the festival and we are delighted to be able to
announce this news actually during the festival itself."