From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GOAA - PRAYER JOURNAL TEACHES ABOUT IOCC WORK IN NEW WAY

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:24:14 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
ARCHDIOCESE LISTSERVER

Latest news online at:
http://www.goarch.org/en/news/

  information at the end of this email

====================================

SCOBA
The Standing Conference of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas
8 East 79th Street, New York, NY 10021

INTERNATIONAL ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN CHARITIES (IOCC)
110 West Road, Suite 360, Baltimore, Md. 21204
Tel: (410) 243-9820 -- Fax: (410) 243-9824
Web: www.iocc.org -- E-mail: news@iocc.org

For immediate release
August 20, 2003

PRAYER JOURNAL TEACHES ABOUT IOCC WORK IN NEW WAY

      Baltimore (IOCC) -- Orthodox Christian children across the United
States will have a new resource this fall to teach them about prayer and
their world: the IOCC children's prayer journal.

      Titled "My Prayer Journal," the colorful, 32-page book is designed to
encourage children in their prayer life as they learn about the lives of
children around the world. Each month features a different country where
International Orthodox Christian Charities, the humanitarian aid agency of
Orthodox Christians, is helping people in need.

      Along with information about each country, the book contains Bible
verses, quotes from the Church Fathers, excerpts from the Divine Liturgy,
suggested prayers, activities and facts. Space is provided for children to
write their prayer requests and things that they are thankful for.

      " 'My Prayer Journal' is a welcome liturgical and catechetical tool,"
said the Rev. Dr. Frank Marangos, director of the Department of Religious
Education of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. "It successfully
encourages children to see the face of Christ in those who suffer and
invites them to create a better global future through the intervention of
personal and corporate prayer."

      The journal is endorsed by IOCC's parent organization, the Standing
Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas (SCOBA). "We
encourage all of our faithful to take full advantage of this Children's
Prayer Journal so that our young people may practice the 'daily presence'
of Jesus Christ in their lives and learn more about the needs of other
children throughout the world," the nine SCOBA hierarchs said.

      The 12-month, interactive journal also offers children an opportunity
to assemble school kits for children in need and to visit the IOCC Web site
each month for more information about the countries where IOCC has
programs.

      " 'My Prayer Journal' is an excellent resource to help Orthodox
children learn to pray and to care about their brothers and sisters
throughout the world," said Frederica Mathewes-Green, author of "The
Illumined Heart" and "Facing East."

      This free IOCC resource is available to individuals and parishes just
in time for the new church school year. To order individual copies, please
go online at www.iocc.org/journal. To order bulk quantities, please contact
the Department of Religious Education of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese at
1-800-566-1088. Shipping charges may apply.

For media inquiries, please contact IOCC Communications Associate Stephen
Huba at 1-877-803-4622 or shuba@iocc.org.