From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Vespers Gains Denver Affiliate Thanks To Generous Listener

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:28:01 -0500

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 1, 2003

Lutheran Vespers Gains Denver Affiliate Thanks To Generous Listener
03-177-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Lutheran Vespers, the radio ministry of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), began airing Sept.
7 on KHOW-AM, Denver, a 5,000-watt station that reaches most of
Colorado.  In addition, the ministry also began airing this week
in Ft. Wayne, Ind., and earlier this year it debuted on new
stations in Minneapolis and Seattle.
     Lutheran Vespers airs at 7:06 a.m. each Sunday on KHOW.  The
ministry formerly aired on another station in Denver but had been
off the air in the market since November 1999.
     "We're very excited," said Jessica Farias, KHOW sales
manager.  "Lutheran Vespers is a quality show."  Because of its
quality and content, it was easy for KHOW staff to add Lutheran
Vespers to the lineup when a time slot became available, she
said.  Early feedback from listeners has been "very positive,"
she added.
     Returning to Denver, the nation's 22nd largest market, is
"like going home," said the Rev. Walt Wangerin Jr., Lutheran
Vespers speaker and faculty member at Valparaiso University,
Valparaiso, Ind.
     "Parts of my family live there," he said, adding that he
thinks of every listener as a relative.
     "Denver is a big place," Wangerin said.  "The program speaks
to everyone in every position and every profession.  The gospel
stretches to embrace all people."
     One supportive listener made airing the program possible in
the Denver area.  Rolle Walker, a member of Sammamish Hills
Lutheran Church, Sammamish, Wash., recently moved to Denver.  He
regularly listened to Lutheran Vespers in Sammamish, he
explained.  When he learned it was not on the air in Denver,
Walker and his siblings acted to make it possible with a
financial gift.
     Walker explained that he listens because he teaches Sunday
School.  Wangerin "connects the theology of Christ's gospel to
everyday application.  My class has to do with how we apply our
faith to anything," he said. "It (Lutheran Vespers) gets me
focused," he said.
     The financial gift was made by Walker, his brother and two
sisters with funds from a financial investment left by Walker's
late parents.  The KHOW broadcast of Lutheran Vespers is formally
sponsored by the children of James and Francille Walker.
     "We were fortunate to have been born to Christian parents,"
Walker said.  "This gift was applied the way they wanted to do
it.  It's a tribute to Mom and Dad."
     The program is guaranteed to air on KHOW at least through
November, Walker said.	Hopefully, others in the Denver area will
be willing to share costs of keeping the program on the air
beyond this year, he said.  That way, Walker said, the family's
investment can be used as seed money for other similar projects.
     "It's God's money," Walker observed.
     It's significant that one parishioner made it possible for
Lutheran Vespers to be heard on KHOW, Farias added.  "He (Walker)
is fabulous.  He's putting his faith into action," she said.
     Meanwhile, Lutheran Vespers has gained other new affiliates
this year.  On Sept. 28 Lutheran Vespers debuted on WOWO-AM, Fort
Wayne, Ind., and will air at 11 a.m. each Sunday, said Barbara
Andrews, associate director for marketing, ELCA Department for
Communication.	 In April the program began airing on KAPS-AM,
Seattle, at 7 a.m. each Sunday and on KKMS-AM, Minneapolis/St.
Paul, also at 7 a.m. each Sunday, she said.   The program also
debuted this year on new stations in Indiana, Iowa, Maryland,
Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
-- -- --
Information about Lutheran Vespers and a complete listing of
stations can be found at http://www.elca.org/lv on the Web.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news