From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Metropolitan Community Churches Lament Anti-Gay Stance

From George Conklin <gconklin@igc.org>
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:35:32 -0700

MCC, the world's largest Christian organization serving the Gay Community

NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release: October 8, 2003

Metropolitan Community Churches Lament Stance
MCC, the world's largest Christian organization serving the Gay Community

West Hollywood, CA b The founder of the world's largest church group of
gays and lesbians has responded to President George Bush's endorsement of a
Religious Right plan to deny equality to gay couples.

Rev. Troy Perry, human rights activist and Founder of Metropolitan
Community Churches, expressed alarm at President's Bush's proclamation on
Friday in support of bMarriage Protection Week,b an event launched by
such conservative social and religious groups to bpreserve the sacred
institution of marriageb by denying the right to marry to gays, lesbians,
bisexual and transgender people.

In President Bush's proclamation, he wrote: "Marriage is a sacred
institution, and its protection is essential to the continued strength of
our society. Marriage Protection Week provides an opportunity to focus our
efforts on preserving the sanctity of marriage and on building strong and
healthy marriages in America."

"President Bush is wrong," Perry said. "He is playing the politics of
division and pandering to the Religious Right. The President promised us
"compassionate conservatism," but he has again failed to show compassion to
millions of this nation's same-sex couples who deserve equality and justice
under the law.b

"The so-called "Marriage Protection Week" is misnamed," said Perry. "In
reality, it is yet another attempt to deny equality to America's gay and
lesbian citizens."

Rev. Perry, whose churches perform more than 6000 same-sex weddings
annually, countered President Bush's assertion that denying marital civil
rights to gays and lesbians would strengthen marriage in America by
pointing out the discrepancies in his statement.

"bIn a nation that upholds the value of separation between church and
state, questions about the sanctity of marriage should be addressed in our
nation's churches and synagogues and mosques, and not in our legislative
halls,b Perry said. bThe gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender
communities pay taxes for the very rights we are denied access to. We
cannot take sick leave should our loved ones become ill, we can't file
joint tax returns, we can't even openly serve our country in the military."

Metropolitan Community Churches (MCC) across the United States will join
hands with many other faith communities to observe October 12-19 as
bMarriage Equality Week,b a week dedicated to the legalization of
same-sex marriage. Metropolitan Community Churches is an international
Christian denomination with more than 43,000 members and adherents in 22
countries.

To launch plans for Marriage Equality Week, MCC has unveiled a new section
of its website at www.mccchurch.org that is specifically dedicated to the
issue of same-sex marriage. The website includes a resource kit for use by
local faith communities, ideas for local activists, a letter from MCC's
founder, Rev. Troy Perry, and links to other civil rights activist groups.

"Metropolitan Community Churches' observance of "Marriage Equality Week"
will provide a positive countervoice for all types of families, including
gay and lesbian families," said Rev. Perry, a former delegate to the White
House Conference on Hate Crimes and the first openly gay member of the Los
Angeles Human Rights Commission. bDuring the same week that some groups
will work to deny a basic human right to gays and lesbians, hundreds to
faith communities will take public stands in support of equality in the
marriage laws for gay couples.b

"We are not seeking special treatment," Rev. Perry added. "We seek
equality. We are asking that the marriage laws be applied equally to all
couples, regardless of sexual orientation. That is the only gay agenda b
equality for everyone under the law."

Rev. Perry wed his partner of 18 years, Phillip Ray DeBlieck, in Toronto
earlier this year after Ontario's historic legalization of same-sex
marriage in June. In July, he announced a Five-Step Plan to legalize
same-sex marriage in the U.S. that includes Valentine's Day demonstrations,
partnering with other gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender activist
groups and eventually, a legal case. At the present time, Rev. Perrybs
marriage and the marriages of hundreds of others who were legally married
in Canada, are not recognized in the U.S.

"These are weddings that are blessed in the sight of God, but still not
recognized by most governments," Perry said. "To not recognize my marriage
and the marriages of thousands of other same-sex couples, would be
discrimination b and we will not stand for that any longer.b

For more information on MCC activities for Marriage Equality Week visit
www.MCCchurch.org.

For Additional Information, Contact:
Roman Cardenas, Associate Director of Communications
Metropolitan Community Churches
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. 310-360-8640, Ext. 228