From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ALC News Noticias Oct 6 2003

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 16:33:51 -0700

ALC NEWS SERVICE
E-mail: director@alcnoticias.org

ALC HEADLINES:
COLOMBIA: AIDS prevention should be promoted in Churches, workshop recommends
BOLIVIA: Methodist Church intervenes and prays in the face of critical
Bolivian situation
MEXICO: World Evangelical Consultation condemns globalization
BRAZIL: Catholic communicators repudiate sensationalism on TV
ECUADOR:  President Bush is a danger for the world, said US theologian

COLOMBIA
AIDS prevention should be promoted in Churches, workshop recommends

BOGOTA, September 29, 2003 (alc). AIDS prevention education form part of
the backbone of all social, educational and service projects in our Church,
said participants at the Celebrate Life workshop held in the San Lucas
Congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Colombia, in Bogota.

Prevention must reach all arenas related to youth and adolescent education,
including Sunday School, added participants at the consultation held
September 13-14 and 20-21.

Convened by Amar Si Da Vida  (ASIVIDA), more than 35 people from different
Christian communities and civil society organizations attended the
consultations along with people who have the virus and who were able to
share their concerns with participants.

We are committed, added the document, to constructing an educational
message from solidarity and from life and not from a position of fear. Both
assistance and prevention are aspects of the same reality and are
complements for an efficient, integral action.

For this reason, it stated, it is important to instill Christian values
from an early age and this will allow for a reparative and integral
response within our Church. Talking about AIDS opens discussion about many
other related issues.

The Gospel calls on us to share the suffering of those who live with
HIV/AIDS, opening our minds and communities so that these become spaces of
reconciliation and dialogue, he said.

With young people it is necessary to construct an open and direct dialogue
that will allow us to eliminate our prejudices

  The document recognizes that the Church itself should be cured of its
exclusions and fears that have lead to many gestures of stigmatization.
Accepting stereotypes has lead us to typecast people according to our
prejudices. We have confused a medical diagnosis with a moral diagnosis. We
hope that this confession leads us to a change in attitude, said
participants.

In the HIV-AIDS crisis we do not want to be a Church that condemns,
excludes, stigmatizes and accuses people who live with the pandemic. The
Gospel calls us to be a Church that loves, gathers, consoles, accompanies,
heals, liberates and educates.

BOLIVIA
Methodist Church intervenes and prays in the face of critical Bolivian
situation

LA PAZ, September 30, 2003 (alc). In the face of the serious social and
political situation currently wracking Bolivia, the Evangelical Methodist
Church in Bolivia (IEMB) agreed to pray so that the Lord of Life and
History inspire and help the leaders and all the involved parties until
national pacification is achieved.

At the same time, we call on the entire Methodist family to pray during
this difficult time in our beloved Bolivia, said that call signed by the
Rev. Carlos Intipampa, bishop of the IEMB.

Bolivia has essentially been brought to a standstill by a strike that
campesinos began 15 days ago, marked by road blocks, and a strike called
September 30 by all unions affiliated with the Bolivian Workers Central
(COB).

In the face of the recent events that have sparked confrontations between
the forces of order and campesinos in the Bolivian highlands,
representatives from the IEMB together with representatives from the
Permanent Human Rights Assembly of Bolivia and the Ombudsman met on
September 21 in Achacachi and Warisata, in the province of  Omasuyos, some
100 kms from La Paz.

Here, a day earlier, a confrontation between campesinos, police and
military forces lead to the loss of human life, injury and arrest, stated
the document. Five campesinos and two soldiers were killed.

Moreover, on the evening of October 22 the commission traveled to the
province of Aroma where the La Paz - Oruro highway was blocked and where
the confrontation also resulted in several injuries and arrests.

Unfortunately those blocking the highway did not recognize the vehicle the
Bolivian Human Rights and IEMB representatives were traveling in and stoned
it. As a result, it was completely destroyed, said Bishop Intipampa.

  According to the statement, the mobilizations in different sectors of
the country and events in recent days are due to the fact that the central
government failed to fulfill the demands presented by campesinos two years
ago.

The situation has been compounded by recent tax measures, the possibility
that natural gas will be sold and exported via Chile, the polarization of
parliament and the governments inability to reach a social pact and
political agreement and its slow response to demands of labor sectors who
suffer the unilateral imposition of the neoliberal economic model, said
the statement.

In this process to seek pacification the IEMB will continue to accompany
the process to seek pacification so that the actors from different social
and political sectors reach agreements... demonstrating their commitment to
national interests and the common good, they said.

In this framework, on the 25th the Commission traveled to Luquisani, in
Muqecas, 250 kms from La Paz, to seek dialogue with those who were blocking
the highways and to take aid to people who are trapped in the area.

MEXICO
World Evangelical Consultation condemns globalization

QUERETARO, September 29, 2003 (alc). As followers of Christ we must
challenge what, tragically, constitutes the heart of contemporary
globalization, the idolatry of Mammon, and its very close ties to
materialism and consumerism, concluded the II World Consultation that
addressed the Impact of Globalization on the Poor.

The consultation took place October 22-26 in this city in central Mexico
and was attended by 185 leaders from Christian organizations in 50
countries, convened by the Miqueas Network.

In the Queretaro Declaration participants affirmed: Frequently those who
in power, those who worship before the altar of Mammon, abuse their power
in order to accumulate in excess.

For Christians, resistance to a consumer society - a society that is based
on false precepts and distorted values - is not optional. The problems
raised by global capitalism are not merely economic or technical but moral
and spiritual, the document stated.

We must recognize that our struggle is not against human beings but
against powers, against authorities, against the authorities that dominate
this world of darkness, against malignant forces in celestial regions, the
statement added.

After specifying that the Miqueas Network is a coalition of Evangelical
Churches and agencies from different parts of the world committed to an
integral mission, the final Declaration stated more than 1.2 billion
people suffer the daily violence of absolute poverty and every day 30,000
children die from hunger and easily preventable diseases.

little to address the serious situation of the poor and we have dedicated
our time during this conference to discussing viable alternative solutions.

Participants stated that The Global Economic System presumes to be the
road that leads to economic progress that benefits not only industrialized
countries, but developing nations, both consumers and producers,
encouraging health competition, disseminating technological knowledge and
increasing productivity and living standards everywhere, it said.

This Orthodox growth formula, is promoted by the so-called group of eight
and reinforced by financial institutions such as the World Bank, the
International Monetary Fund and the World Trade Organization, it stated.

However, the evidence demonstrates that these suppositions have no
foundation. The global capitalist system is built on lies, stated the
document. Rather than reducing poverty, it is one of the factors that
contribute to extending and deepening this scourge. Its consequences
include the emergence of a transnational aristocracy that is materially
rich and politically powerful, in comparison to a growing mass of people
submerged in poverty and misery.

The growing gap not only between rich and poor nations but between the rich
and poor within countries, including First World nations, clearly
demonstrates that the global capitalist system benefits a rich minority but
condemns the vast majority to live in poverty, said the declaration.

Based on this interpretation of the nature of our struggle, the first
requirement to fulfill our call is to strengthen ourselves with the great
power of the Lord and to put on the armor of God. The first step in our
Christian response to the dehumanizing globalization is to recognize that
our life and mission have their roots in the Gospel, according to
participants.

Survival takes precedence over individual property rights. Governments and
multinational corporations do not own the natural resources in the earth.
God bestowed the responsibility for developing these resources on them for
good of all human beings that share the planet, in a way that respects the
integrity of creation, it affirms.

The tyranny of the economy and the invasion of the market thought in
every sphere of human life corrodes our moral language, undermines human
dignity and the legitimacy of the market itself. We are committed to a
moral and spiritual battle against idolatry, it added.

In order to address the incoherencies of the globalization process, the
consultation proposes redirecting the global economy and globalization
processes toward the kingdom of God. Recovery policies and political
education is central to this task.

The lack of political will on the part of rich nations to reformulate
local financial institutions and to renew the global economy, in such as
way so that the benefits of globalization are distributed in a more
equitable fashion, can only be counter-arrested by a transnational
mobilization of social movements, it stated.

Finally the Declaration called on the governments of the world to Fulfill
promises to cancel the un-payable debt of the worlds poorest nations, to
return the billions of dollars transferred by corrupt politicians to the
Third World, which is money stolen from the poor and to reform the
international banking system to eliminate the fiscal havens.

Addressing Churches, the document stated that as a global Evangelical
community we have the historic opportunity and biblical imperative to
respond to the great evil that poverty represents in our days.

BRAZIL
Catholic communicators repudiate sensationalism on TV

SAO PAULO, October 1, 2003 (alc). Members of the Communication Pastoral
from the diocese of Sao Paulo and representatives from Catholic media
repudiated communication models that awaken and even promote violence and
death in television programs.

Such programs are an affront to human dignity in favor of sensationalism.
The statement was made during a regional meeting of communicators and
agents from the National Bishops Conferences Communication Pastoral, held
in Santos from September 19-21.

Participants analyzed a great deal of material and critically viewed
television shows that disseminate negative values.

This material included the interview offered by Gugu Liberato on a program
called Legal Sunday, broadcast September 7. In the interview, two masked
men spoke, as members of the criminal gang First Commando of the Capital.

During the interview they threatened to kill several people, including the
deputy mayor of Sao Paulo, Hilio Bicudo, TV Bandeirantes host, Josi Luiz
Datena and the Rev. Marcelo Rossi.

Subsequently it was discovered that the two were actors who were paid to
participate in the farce. The Brazilian justice system has suspended the
program as the interview incited criminal behavior.

A statement from the Catholic communicators said that television is a
social good, a public concession that should be at the service of society
to construct citizen communication, promoting human dignity for the
formation of a just and fraternal society marked by solidarity.

However, it added that people are the captives of a commercial
communication system and there is no alternative project.

At the beginning of the meeting on Democratization in the Brazilian
Television journalist and Sociologist Luarindo Lalo Leal Filho said that
TV has transformed merchandize into an ideology because consumption is an
ideology and that within this logic the only people who are citizens are
consumers.

However, he noted that TV is a medium with diverse potential that could
contribute to culture and citizenship, for example through documentaries.

Currently the lack of control makes it difficult to present important
cultural projects and imposes the idea that TV only offers what the public
wants, he added.

Federal representative Orlando Fantazini, of the Partido de los
Trabajadores of Sao Paulo recently launched a campaign that is aimed at
observing television programs to determine which ones do not respect
international agreements signed by Brazil or the principles and laws that
protect human rights.

These include inciting crime, torture, lynching and others forms of
violence, discrimination based on race, gender, religion or sexual
orientation, anything that encourages child or youth pornography.

Fantazini said that one strategy to combat these types of programs is to
link them with advertisers under the argument that companies seek to
present positive balances regarding their responsibilities and social role.

ECUADOR
  President Bush is a danger for the world, said US theologian

By Carlos Ramos
QUITO, October 2, 2003 (alc). US President George Bush represents a danger
for his nation and the world. Hopefully he will not be re-elected or his
arrogance will have no limits, affirmed US theologian Juan Stam.

During a monthly breakfast sponsored by the Christian Political Reflection
Forum, held September 29 in Quito, Stam, who has a recognized trajectory in
Latin America, mentioned that he recently wrote, at the request of a group
of students, about the US  presidents political thinking.

  His research involved an in-depth study of Bush discourses from his
electoral campaign and later as president. According to Stam, there is a
common denomination, something he summarized as the three Ms: Manicheism,
messianism and manipulation.

I did not touch on Mr. Bushs personal relationship with God, that is
between him and God. My analysis is related to the public discourse and its
religious implications as Mr. Bush says he is a man of faith, an
Evangelical and a Methodist, said Stam.

Bushs manicheism is expressed in statements about the fact that the
struggle in todays world is between absolute good and absolute evil: the
United States represents the good and Muslims the evil. The good are called
to struggle and put an end to evil and evildoers.

It is also expressed when he says, Those who are not with us are against
us. Those who do not support the Presidents policy are on the side of the
terrorists. The mission of the United States is to liberate the world from
evil and the perversity of the terrorists.

His Messianism is manifested in his conviction that he was elected to free
the oppressed from authoritarian regimes and bring them to the light of
American democracy. Under this perspective, US soldiers represent the best
of the United States and are called to liberate the captives from
totalitarianism and announce the good news of Western society, he said.

This certainty that he has been chosen for such a transcendental mission
lead Bush to disregard Pope John Paul IIs request, to place little
importance on former President Carters opinion or the opinion of European
allies and the United Nations. He also paid little mind to Methodist
Bishops who have not been received by one of their most distinguished
faithful. If he is so certain that he is on the right path, the opinion of
those who disagree cannot detain the march, said Stam.

The use of photographs of Bush praying, the fact that prior to announcing
the attack on Iraq he requested a little time to be alone, prayer chains
for American soldiers, the president and his team during the conflict and
the fact that the victims of the war were completely overlooked in these
prayers are examples of manipulating faith for political ends, said Stam.

The conclusion one could reach is that Bush is ignorant on religious issues
or this is heresy. In either case he places God on the side of war and
aggression and we Evangelicals know that God proclaims peace,
reconciliation, pardon and repentance for our sins, love and fraternity
among people, said Stam.

Finally, the theologian pointed out that currently it is said that in the
United States there are two powers: the White House and public opinion.
Public opinion is formed to a great extent by this recent miracle of
Internet and electronic mail. It is up to us to create opinion, that is our
task, he said.

Agencia Latinoamericana y Caribeqa de Comunicacisn (ALC)
P.O. Box 14-225 Lima 14 Peru
Tel. (51 1) 462 0142  Telefax (51 1) 463 2496
Cell Phone (51 1) 9724 3959 / E-Mail: director@alcnoticias.org
Visit our web site: http://www.alcnoticias.org
To stop emails, please visit http://www.alcpress.org/StopNews.asp?lanCode=1