From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jackson to Take Leave from National City

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:39:57 -0700

Date: Oct. 10, 2003
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Amy Shockley
Phone: 317-713-2495
E-mail: ashockley@cm.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Washington, D.C. October 10, 2003 -- In a letter to his
congregation, the Rev. Alvin O. Jackson, Senior Pastor at
National City Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and
Disciples' moderator, announced his decision to take a
ten-week leave of absence beginning October 15, 2003.

In the letter Jackson stated, "I'm taking a leave from
ministerial duties in order to spend time discerning how our
entire church family might better pursue our ministry,
walking together in faith, hope and love."

"We at National City recognize that Alvin has been under
considerable pressure these last several months, and that he
would benefit greatly from a time apart--a time for rest,
reflection, rejuvenation, and renewal.	We look forward to
his return in January when, under his inspired leadership,
we can continue to pursue vigorously our vision of a
dynamic, diverse, multicultural congregation in this great
church serving Christ's mission in the nation's capital,
stated Dr. Roger W. Webb, general board moderator, National
City Christian Church.

In a separate letter to general minister and president Rev.
Richard L. Hamm, Jackson stated that he would not attend the
denominations General Assembly scheduled to begin October 17
in Charlotte, NC.  As moderator, Jackson was scheduled to
preside at business sessions and preach at the opening
worship service Friday, October 17.  "I regret not being
able to be present for this significant meeting and any
inconvenience that my decision may cause you and the
planners of the Assembly as you consider alternative
arrangements," the letter read.

"I know this was a deeply personal decision for Dr. Jackson
and his family.  We will miss Alvin's presence at General
Assembly, but I am pleased to know that he is exercising
self-care and taking time for thoughtful reflection and
discernment," said Richard L. Hamm, general minister and
president, Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the
United States and Canada.

The first and second vice-moderators will carry out
Jackson's moderating duties at General Assembly. Rev. Hamm
will preach during Friday night's worship.

Jackson plans to resume his duties at National City on the
first Sunday in January.

Contact:
Melinda Mains
317-713-2496