From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3621 Archbishop salutes new Canterbury Partnership

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:18:52 +0100

ACNS 3621     |     ENGLAND	|     13 OCTOBER 2003

Archbishop salutes new Canterbury Partnership

[ACNS source: Canterbury Cathedral] The Archbishop of Canterbury, the
Most Revd Dr Rowan Williams, opened the new St Augustine's Library at 12
noon on Saturday 11 October in the Precincts of Canterbury Cathedral.
The new Library is formed from books of the former St Augustine's
College (some extremely rare) and the modern theology Library of
Canterbury Christ Church University College. Housed in a specially
converted building owned by the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury, the
Library forms a new partnership between Canterbury Cathedral, the St
Augustine's Foundation and Canterbury Christ Church University College.
The Archbishop was given Reader's ticket No 00001 by the College
Principal, Professor Michael Wright.

At the opening, the Archbishop spoke of his pleasure at having a major
source of theological learning in Canterbury - something that will be a
resource for Anglicans everywhere - noting that many universities first
developed from Cathedrals and other Church institutions. The Dean of
Canterbury, the Very Revd Robert Willis, saluted the Partnership and
pledged the Dean and Chapter to continue to support education and
learning, particularly through the work of its International Study
Centre. The Principal of Canterbury Christ Church University College,
Professor Michael Wright, said, "Working with others to secure mutually
agreed objectives is one of the aims of our Strategic Plan. The
development of the St Augustine's library is a good example of Christ
Church and the Cathedral working together and we are delighted to be a
partner in this new venture. I hope that the library will be a useful
and stimulating resource for our students, members of the Dean and
Chapter and many others with an interest in this unique collection of
books and materials."

[A photograph is available at:
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/36/00/acns3621.html]