From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3622 Anglicans call for inclusive church and a new call to

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:20:23 +0100

ACNS 3622     |     ACNS     |	   13 OCTOBER 2003

Anglicans call for inclusive church and a new call to mission

by Matthew Davies

Never before have the terms liberal and conservative, orthodox and
progressive, right wing and left wing, been so prevalent throughout the
Anglican Communion. Times are tense, tempers raging and a serious call
for us to question where we are as Anglicans has reared its ugly head.
Some say that the elasticity of the Communion is about to snap: the
"progressive" wing of the church is pulling out all the collegial stops;
the traditionalists are rallying their troops.

However, the Primates' Meeting - beginning for two days on Wednesday -
has prompted many lobbying groups and organisations to draft statements
in support of an inclusive church.

Last week Changing Attitude, an organisation working for Lesbian and Gay
affirmation in the Anglican Church, issued a Global Open Letter urging
the Primates of the Anglican Communion "to avoid any course of action
which might lead to schism or the fragmentation of the Anglican
Communion", and similar statements have emerged since.

On 9 October, an Inclusive Church newsletter announced that "more than
six thousand people, over fifty Parochial Church Councils, and over
seventy organisations, have publicly committed themselves to support
Inclusive Church's Declaration of Belief". The newsletter added, "No
longer can any one claim that those of us praying and working for an
inclusive Church are in the minority".

The Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement (LGCM), an ecumenical group, also
disseminated an open letter to the Primates warning that "the danger is
from those who wish to force an outmoded method of biblical
interpretation which takes no notice of scientific development and a
totalitarian model of authority".

It is biblical interpretation that is the driving force behind the
entire altercation regarding human sexuality, and the conservative
debate is grounded very firmly in the belief that the Bible is the
literal key to understanding our standards of existence on
homosexuality, whereas others issues, such as divorce, appear to have
been side-stepped.

According to an ICM poll commissioned by The Telegraph "more than half
of all Church of England worshippers believe that practising homosexuals
should be allowed to join the clergy and more than two thirds support
the ordination of celibate homosexuals." (Sunday Telegraph 12/10/03)

The Revd Richard Kirker of the LGCM said, "This poll is amazingly good
news. It shows the common sense of the ordinary Anglican woman and man
in the pew. Many know lesbian and gay clergy and benefit from their
loving and sacrificial service."

Claiming the Blessing is an intentional collaborative effort working
together to promote wholeness in human relationships, to abolish
prejudice and oppression, and to heal the rift between sexuality and
spirituality in the Church. In a sermon preached on 28 September, the
Revd Susan Russell, Executive Director of Claiming the Blessing, talked
about the wideness of God's mercy and the importance of walking in love
rather than fear. "We must catch the wave of the publicity that has
pointed to the Episcopal Church as a place where everyone is welcome,"
she said. "We must offer a counter-voice to those seeking schism and
promoting division and offer instead a proactive, positive vision of a
church with Good News to tell and the will to tell it."

In its mission statement, Claiming the Blessing believe that "full
inclusion of all the baptized into the Body of Christ is not an issue
that will split the church but is an opportunity that will help grow the
church...if we're willing to both claim it and proclaim it."

It has often been felt that global south provinces are the main players
when it comes to denouncing homosexual activity throughout the Anglican
Communion. Adding a more liberal voice to Uganda, however, a retired
Anglican bishop has said it is wrong for the Church of Uganda to sever
relationship with the Diocese of New Hampshire over the confirmation of
Gene Robinson as its bishop. "Luckily, gays have now entered the annals
of history as Bishops," he said. "They are now brought much closer to
the love of Christ than they were before and we should not lose this
chance."

The Rt Revd Christopher Senyonjo, retired Bishop of West Uganda Diocese,
was immediately dropped as the assisting Bishop of Namirembe, for his
pro-gay sentiments.

When asked in an interview whether other Ugandan bishops could be a
member of Integrity Uganda, Bishop Christopher Senyonjo said, "We enjoy
a lot of quiet support and prayer from [our] Bishops - unfortunately
they are being intimidated into fear."

The American Anglican Council (AAC) held a conference in Texas last week
and issued a text entitled "Call to Action", which repudiated the
decisions of the Episcopal Church, USA, to confirm a non-celibate
homosexual to be a bishop of the Church, and its acceptance of same-sex
blessings as part of our common life. "These actions have broken
fellowship with the larger body of Christ and have brought the Episcopal
Church under God's judgment," the text stated. "We declare our
commitment to the Lord's life-giving teaching about sexuality and
marriage embraced by Christians throughout all ages, and as affirmed by
the 1998 Lambeth Conference."

Furthermore, the suggestions of realignment and the redirection of funds
"away from those structures that support the unrighteous actions of the
General Convention" show a very clear message that, for the AAC and its
supporters, there are few alternatives when the integrity of scripture
is being questioned.

A letter from Trinity Cathedral, Portland, Oregon, sent to Presiding
Bishop, Frank T. Griswold, and the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan
Williams, affirmed another voice from within the Episcopal Church that
is not represented in the recent proclamations and actions of the
American Anglican Council. "We seek...to be as lavish with God's love as
Jesus was and is. And so, we see the Episcopal Church and the Anglican
Communion not as a place to make a stand, but as a Place to Love," the
letter stated. "We value that within our church there is great diversity
of opinion, not only on issues of sexuality, but along the ethical,
economic, social, theological, and political lines that can so easily
divide us as people."

As the Primates gather on Wednesday and Thursday to listen to provincial
perspectives, reflect on the issues raised and explore ways forward, the
real focus will be on maintaining the unity of the Anglican Communion.
The Rt Revd Henry Parsley, Bishop of Alabama, recently wrote a letter to
all clergy in his diocese saying that he feared the AAC are pushing for
an "alternative province of the Anglican Communion in the United
States". "I believe that we must work within the Episcopal Church and
Anglican Communion as presently constituted to express our views and
work for what is right," he said.

Many messages of support for the recent actions at the General
Convention have been voiced and a parishioner from Jacksonville,
Florida, told the Anglican Communion Office, "I feel that is important
for you to know that not all members of the Episcopal Church, especially
those in the Southern United States, agree with the actions brought
forth by groups such as the American Anglican Council. Most of us are
one hundred percent supportive of the actions of the 74th General
Convention, and we urge you to make NO changes in the Communion which
would allow for such things as a separate province. This would be a
travesty. Thank you for your time and consideration. This meeting will
most assuredly be in my prayers."