From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

GOAA - Archpastoral Reflections October 2003

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:55:44 -0700

GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
8-10 East 79th St. New York, NY 10021
Tel: (212) 570-3530 Fax: (212) 774-0215
Web: http://www.goarch.org
Email: communications@goarch.org

  Archpastoral Reflections  October 2003

  The rapid pace of technological development is an undeniable and
  unavoidable characteristic of our contemporary American society.  As Greek
  Orthodox Christians living in one of the most technologically advanced and
  complex societies on Earth, we would be wise to consider the manner in
  which technology has saturated virtually every aspect of our culture--our
  businesses, our homes, our schools, and even our churches.  Information is
  being made available to us at extraordinarily fast rates.  As a
  consequence, we observe an appalling confusion and ambiguity with regard
  to the most basic institutions of our society, such as religion and the
  family.  Further, as we consider the vast quantities of stimuli that are
  being made available to the public through the Internet and electronic
  media in general, it is not a strange coincidence that we also may observe
  a steady rise in pathological addiction, illegal Internet activity, social
  withdrawal, and depression among many people in our midst.

  In this context, it is prudent to assess the health of our contemporary
  situation by weighing the blessings of technological advancement against
  the negative results that can often accompany it.  Let us consider an
  important question in this task: How do we respond to the harmful
  consequences of extreme technological saturation?   This question prompts
  us to consider a variety of alternatives such as increased parental
  controls and continual alertness over the Internet.

  In its most applicable and general sense, however, the question of how we
  respond to technological saturation urges us to reflect upon one
  especially timely and critical discipline, namely, the discipline of
  vigilance--the practice of being intentionally and watchfully alert of our
  environment.	Our Lord continuously endeavored to instill this discipline
  within His disciples.  Repeatedly and consistently, He communicated the
  fundamental importance of being watchful when He said, "Watch and pray,
  that you may not enter into temptation" (Matthew 26:41).

  The art of vigilance, in so far as it concerns all matters pertaining to
  the overall health of the soul, can be applied to many facets of our
  contemporary Christian life.	In these times of unparalleled technological
  sophistication, let us exercise renewed watchfulness to our rapidly
  expanding and increasingly complex environment.  Let us be continuously
  alert to the potentially harmful effects of technological explosion in the
  realm of ideas, ethics and politics, which are only beginning to be
  critically documented and studied.  Above all, let us remember the
  importance of vigilance in all things, especially as we employ the vast
  resources of the Internet and associated information technologies.

  As we consider the tremendous and unprecedented opportunities for
  communicating Christ's Gospel within our modern information age, it
  becomes also apparent that there are yet many positive aspects associated
  with the utilization of advanced technology.	 In very powerful and direct
  ways, electronic media presents us with new capabilities to preach the
  Gospel, to offer our Orthodox Faith to contemporary America, and to
  respond to Christ's commandment to "Go and make disciples of all nations"
  (Matthew 28:19).  As we critique the excesses of technology, let us commit
  ourselves to keeping our perspective balanced by exploring these
  tremendous capabilities in more critical and extensive detail, in the
  context of another reflection to be presented in the near future.

   +DEMETRIOS
  Archbishop of America