From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Evangelical Lutheran Church Jerusalem eMail News Letter

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:08:33 -0700

Evangelical Lutheran Church   (ELCJ)

E-Mail Newsletter from
BISHOP DR. MUNIB A. YOUNAN
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church (ELCJ).
The ELCJ is serving in
Palestine, Jordan and Israel.
October 14, 2003

     Salaam and grace to you from Jerusalem, the city of Christ's death and
resurrection.

The past days have brought the sad news of the death of Dr. Edward
Said.  On September 25 the world lost Dr. Said, a Palestinian American
writer, scholar and strong advocate for justice.  We extend our condolences
to his family. All of us are further along the path to justice and peace
because of Dr. Said's work for human rights over many decades.	 On October
10 we heard the glad news that Ms Shirin Ebadi, a Muslim woman from Iran
who has worked and struggled for human rights for many years, was awarded
the 2003 Nobel Peace Prize.  We congratulate her and see her accomplishment
as yet another step along the path to justice and peace.  As Bishop Younan
has commented, Ms Ebadi's work helps us to see that Islam is a religion of
tolerance and peace.

In this newsletter we will bring you up to date on the experience of three
Palestinian young people who had the opportunity to attend the ELCA Atlanta
Youth Event in the U.S.; on the youth exchange trip from the Lutheran
Church of the Redeemer to Hamburg, Germany and three ELCJ retreats; on the
nineteen Ecumenical Accompaniers currently in Palestine and Israel; and
news from Bishop Younan's recent journey to Germany and Sweden.

   1. Three Palestinian Students in Lutheran Schools Go to Atlanta, Georgia
An exciting and life-changing experience lay ahead of three Palestinian
young people as they contemplated their upcoming trip to the United States
last summer.
Ashraf ("Ash") Tannous from Ramallah; Nadia Kamal from Ramallah; and Klara
Shihadeh from Beit Jala were feeling great joy in the anticipation of
joining thousands of other young people at the August 2003 Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA)Youth Gathering in Atlanta,
Georgia.  Nadia said she felt very honored to be chosen for such an event
and to be able to give a picture of Palestine and its people by what she
might say or do.

The two-week Atlanta Youth Event in the Georgia Dome included Bible
studies, worship, music, messages from youth and adult leaders, the
Learning Village which taught the youth how to be activists for peace and
justice, and many opportunities for fun and social activities.	More than
40,000 young people and adults took part in these activities, including
over 14,500 who worked on seventy service projects in the Atlanta area,
such as helping to build and paint Habitat for Humanity homes.

Ash, a 17 year-old Lutheran young man, stated that he enjoyed everything
about the Youth Assembly, especially meeting with the international youth
and the worship time each day in the Dome.  He learned much from the youth
at the assembly about their situations, how they live in their countries,
about their faith in Christ and how they live out that faith in word and
example.   Nadia, a 17 year-old Muslim young woman, stated that she enjoyed
the songs that were played at the gathering.  "They were almost all about
humanity and how people were supposed to love each other.  And that is true
no matter which religion says so."  One thing Nadia will never forget is an
Assembly speaker who said that God has gifted every one of us with
something special.  When Nadia learns what her special gift or talent is,
she knows she'll remember what that speaker said.   Klara, a 17 year-old
Lutheran young woman, was also impressed with the speakers and will never
forget praying and having Holy Communion with upwards of 25,000 people.

Either prior to the Youth Event or following it, each international youth
was hosted by an ELCA Synod and congregation.  Ash and Nadia were hosted by
two different families belonging to Joy Lutheran Church in Tulsa,
Oklahoma.  Klara was hosted by two congregations in Nashua and Salem, New
Hampshire.  All of the Palestinian young people enjoyed being with their
host families and congregations.  Ash thought his host family was "really
nice, unbelievably nice and good in everything."  He also enjoyed the
pastor of Joy Lutheran and was impressed that people made coming to church
a priority on Sunday.  Nadia said that "the people who hosted me were very
generous people.  And when I went to church I enjoyed finding out that I
understood things.  They were things anyone who believes in God and has a
big heart could understand.  The pastor of Joy Lutheran thought it was
wonderful that I had been comfortable at the Youth Assembly, being the only
Muslim there, and he called me 'an incredible person.'	That was about the
greatest praise I have ever gotten so I'll never forget that."	Both Ash
and Nadia enjoyed recreational activities with their families, such as
swimming, horseback riding, peach picking, basketball, tennis, and
shopping.  Klara noticed a great interest in youth and children's work in
the congregations she visited, and found the people very open to the world
and very welcoming.  Klara enjoyed whale watching in the Atlantic Ocean and
visiting an Indian museum as well as art galleries, science museums and a
trip to Boston.

(Be watching for a separate article about the three Palestinian young
people and their momentous trip to the US, the Atlanta Lutheran Youth
Assembly and their host families in the Arkansas-Oklahoma and the New
England ELCA Synods.)

2. Summer Activities:  Youth and Family Retreats
Jerusalem and Hamburg Youth Hold a Joint Retreat in Germany:
Twelve Palestinian young people (girls and boys ages 13-18) from the
Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, Jerusalem, traveled with Rev. Ibrahim Azar
to Hamburg, Germany, in August for a ten-day stay with about twelve German
Lutheran youth and their families.  The St. John Lutheran Church in Hamburg
and the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Jerusalem have had an exchange
program for the past five years.  Twice the German youth have come to
Jerusalem and this was the second time Palestinian youth traveled to
Hamburg. The theme of the gathering was "How to Live in a Difficult Time as
a Christian."  In workshops the young people shared the difficulties they
face in life.  Palestinian youth spoke of checkpoints, difficult travel and
the fact there is no peace.  German youth spoke of environmental concerns
in their country and the desire to spend more time with their
families.  Every day the whole youth group spent time in prayer, and on
Sunday the youth conducted the worship service.  Some of the recreation
activities included
swimming and bowling.  These youth exchanges are essential for growing a
mutual
understanding for a common vocation in a broken, globalized world.
     Jerusalem Congregation Enjoys Family Retreat in Nazareth.
About thirty-seven men, women and children (from age 2 to 88!) spent four
days at St. Margaret's Guest House in Nazareth in July.  Ordinarily this
family retreat would include members of the other ELCJ congregations, but
due to closures and checkpoints, the Redeemer congregation was the only one
able to travel to Nazareth this summer.  The theme for the retreat was "The
Significance of Christian Belief in a Multi-religious Country."  Bishop
Emeritus Daoud Haddad and Rev. Azar led the studies and discussions with
the adults while the children had a special program of their own, including
opportunities to swim.	Together the retreat group
visited holy sites by the Sea of Galilee, such as Tabgha and Capernaum.
Two ELCJ Youth Retreats in Nazareth.
Rev. Ramez Ansara, pastor of the Lutheran Church of Hope in Ramallah and
also the Youth Pastor for the ELCJ, brought two groups of youth to St.
Margaret's Guest House in Nazareth this past summer.  From August 4-7 the
"juniors" attended their retreat.  Ages 14-17, the 53 young people from
four of the ELCJ congregations had rich discussions on their theme:  "How
Can We Be Good Christians in Our Country?"  The entire program was led by
Rev. Ansara, Deacon Faraj Lati and Mr. Saliba Rashmawi.  From August 18-21
the young adults, ages 19-26 years, from four ELCJ congregations, attended
their retreat.	Rev. Ansara and Rev. Fuad Dagher, an Anglican priest, led
the discussions among the 42 young people on "Liberty and
Christianity."	Recreation activities at the retreats included swimming,
games and visits to holy sites in the Galilee.	Rev. Ansara stated that the
young people were hopeful and happy, but have many questions and concerns
about their future.  The youth retreats were particularly special this year
because they were not held in 2002 due to extreme difficulties related to
the military occupation.

3.  The Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Palestine and Israel (EAPPI)

A few years ago the Heads of Christian Churches in Jerusalem asked the
World Council of Churches (WCC) to send people to "accompany" oppressed
people in their daily struggle with the military occupation and all the
problems which ensue.  The WCC responded with the EAPPI, sending willing
volunteers from Europe and North America to spend three months in various
villages, cities and projects in Palestine and Israel.	For nearly one and
one-half years these volunteers have been coming to this land and then
returning home to tell about the facts on the ground.  This fall nineteen
EAPPI volunteers from Canada, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and the
United States have come.  They are accompanying Palestinians and Israelis
in their non-violent actions and concerted advocacy efforts to end the
occupation and to report to the world their observations of what the
occupation is doing to Palestinians and Israelis on a daily basis.

4.  Bishop Younan Visits Partner Churches in Germany and Sweden
Bishop Younan spent three weeks in Germany and Sweden during September and
October, visiting partner churches and consolidating relationships.  "I was
happy to have a long visit in Germany because the ELCJ is the outcome of
German mission in Palestine.  I was pleased and surprised to see the amount
of knowledge many German churches have about our work, and I felt their
love for the ELCJ.  I was also very pleased to see the support for the
ongoing Palestinian Christian witness."

IN GERMANY:  Bishop Younan visited with church leaders and church
gatherings in Berlin, Naumburg, Kaiserswert, Hanover, Greifswalds, Hamburg
and Rensburg.	Just a few of the highlights of the bishop's visit to
Germany included the following:

7 A one-day session with the Berlin Mission Work (BMW) Board in regard to
restructuring the educational work of the ELCJ including the Talitha Kumi
School in order to strengthen the educational mission in Palestine.
7 An evening spent with Johannes Kirchengemeinde in Berlin, which is a
partner church with the Lutheran Church of Hope in Ramallah.
7 A constructive conference with the Board of Jerusalemswerein, the
establishing mission of the ELCJ, in regard to consolidating German mission
and churches and ELCJ relations.
7 The opportunity to thank the Evangelical Education Development (EED) for
their generous financial support for the schools of the ELCJ and Abraham's
Herberge in Beit Jala.
7 A visit to the Pomerania church which, like the ELCJ, is a minority
church and fully understands the struggle and suffering of the Palestinian
Christians.
7 The Evangelical Mission Work (EMW) which expressed interest in ecumenical
and interfaith exchanges and dialogues, with a special interest in
Christian-Jewish-Muslim dialogue and Dar al-Kalima Academy.
7 The Northern Elbanian Church synod gathering where the bishop thanked the
church for its support of the ELCJ's ecclesiastical and educational work in
addition to Abraham's Herberge.  The bishop also had discussion and
negotiation with the director and staff of the Nord Elbian Mission Center
(NMZ).
7 Constructive dialogue with the United Evangelical Lutheran Churches in
Germany (VELKD) and with the Evangelical Churches in Germany (EKD) on
continuing relationships with the ELCJ.
7 The celebration of 167 years of Kaiserswert mission.	The bishop
participated in a dialogue sermon including Slovania, Jerusalem and Germany
on the words of St. Paul in Acts 17:28, "For in Him we live and move and
have our being."

Bishop Younan spoke about the Palestinian Christian Church being a church
of martyria.  "The golden time of the living Church is never in luxury and
affluence.  History teaches us that the golden time is when the Church is
in the throes of suffering and persecution.  It is only then that the
Church grows.  It grows in membership as well as in its spirituality
because its witness is always in the suffering.  Additionally, within the
Church's suffering, Christ repeatedly gives us the promise, experience and
knowledge that only 'in Him do we live and move and have our being,' as the
Apostle Paul said in his sermon in Athens, in Acts 17.	It is Christ who
stands with us in the deepest darkness and says, 'I am with you until the
end of the Earth.' (Matt. 28:20)  It is Him who comes to the fearful Church
and says, 'My peace I give to you, not as the world gives.  Do not let your
hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.' (John 14:27)	It is Him who says,
'Do not be afraid, little flock.'  (Luke 12:32)

"It is Christ who gives us courage to live and move, who continuously calls
the Palestinian Church to be salt in the society and light in the Middle
East.  It is Him who calls us in our suffering, frailty and weakness to be
instruments of love, brokers of justice, defenders of human, civil and
religious rights, ministers of reconciliation and apostles of
love.	Christ does not only allow us to live and move and have our being
in Him, but He calls us, Palestinian Christians, to be living witnesses and
carry the banner of witness of His crucifixion and resurrection in this
land where they occurred, until He comes again."

Bishop Younan expresses his deep gratitude to everyone who made the
arrangements for his journey through Germany.  He found the trip very
beneficial,  enjoyable and successful and believes this should be an annual
event because of the diverse, rich relations with German churches and
mission boards.

     IN SWEDEN:  Patriarch Michel Sabbah of the Latin Catholic Church in
Jerusalem and Bishop Younan were invited by the Swedish Lutheran Archbishop
and the Bishop of the Catholic Church to speak to the Council of Churches
in Sweden.  The two Palestinian heads of Christian churches spoke at a
one-day seminar on the topic of Jerusalem and the witness of the
Palestinian Christian Churches in regard to religious fundamentalism,
democracy and human rights.  "Both of us addressed the church people on
these issues," Bishop Younan said, "and had very constructive discussions,
especially on the subject of how the Palestinian church can build a culture
of justice, peace and life in a time of destruction, spiral violence and
occupation."

On Sunday, October 5, Patriarch Sabbah was a guest of the Catholic churches
and Bishop Younan participated in the St. Michael's Day observance with the
ELCJ partner, the Strangnas Diocese.  A special seminar was held on the
subject of martyria in Christianity and Islam.	Participants in the seminar
included ambassadors, members of the Swedish parliament, politicians,
journalists and members of the Swedish Lutheran churches.

On Monday, October 6, Bishop Younan and Patriarch Sabbah visited the
Swedish Foreign Ministry Department and the Swedish International
Development Aid (SIDA) program.  "We updated them on the role of the
Christian church in building just peace, a civil society and democracy,"
Bishop Younan stated.  "We urged them to give support for the indigenous
Palestinian church to continue its challenging work. It was clear that the
mere fact that a Catholic patriarch and a Lutheran bishop were standing up
together for human rights issues was a powerful, ecumenical witness.  We
together were standing for the right thing at the right moment.  It is our
hope that such ecumenical visits can be encouraged in other countries."

Bishop Younan expresses his gratitude to the many Swedish churches and
people who made the visit so enjoyable and successful for him and for
Patriarch Sabbah.

************************************
We continue to thank you for your prayers and your support.  The busy
autumn schedule is upon us and despite closures, checkpoints and continued
harassments as we live under military occupation, we thank God for every
opportunity we have to proclaim God's grace and love in our words and in
our actions.  Thanks be to God!

Noted by Rev. Dr. Mary E. Jensen
Communications Assistant to Bishop Dr. Munib A. Younan, ELCJ
Bishop Younan:	ga_elcj@netvision.net.il	   Rev. Mary
Jensen:  inasmuch@aol.com
  www.holyland-lutherans.org