From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Team Develops Church School Themes a Decade in Advance

From "Nat'l Council of Churches" <nccc_usa@ncccusa.org>
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:28:32 -0400

October 16, 2003, New York City
For Immediate Release

Teams Challenge: Develop Relevant Church School Themes a Decade in Advance

The National Council of Churches team responsible for developing weekly
church school lesson outlines for nearly 40 denominations faces a formidable
challenge - choosing themes that will be relevant a decade and more in
advance.

How does the team do it?  Only by the grace of God, said the Rev.
Carmichael Crutchfield of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church in
Memphis, Tenn.	He chairs the Cycle Planning Team for the NCCs Uniform
Series International Bible Lessons Committee, the remarkable, 130-year
exercise in Christian unity that quietly undergirds the church school
lessons millions use every week.

The team of Christian educators, curriculum planners and writers met Sept.
24-27 in Nashville, Tenn., to choose themes for Sunday school lessons for
2010-16.  The themes for those years will revolve around God, creation,
hope, justice, faith, community, worship and tradition/heritage, the team
determined.

Granted, these themes are timeless, said the Rev. Patrice Rosner, NCC
Associate General Secretary for Education and Leadership Ministries, New
York, and a minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), but how
they will look in any particular year is different.

For example, she said, We dont know what issues related to creation,
ecology, nature, preservation (or) stewardship of the earth will look like
in 2016, but we know that it is going to be an issue that people will deal
with in some way.

When the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks occurred, Sunday school classes
across the country were studying a theme entitled The Light for All
 People.  The lessons focused on moving from darkness to light, and seemed
tailored to the needs of Christians dealing with the emotional devastation
of the attacks.  Little did the classes realize their lesson theme had been
chosen years in advance.

How could we know?  We didnt know.  It had to be God, said Dr. Mary Love,
former chair of the Uniform Series committee.

We cannot totally see what Bible study will look like in 2010, but the
Committee on the Uniform Series has been in the process of trying to be more
relevant to the needs of those who use the lessons, Crutchfield said.	We
spend time in prayer with each other and in being open to the movement of
Gods spirit. Through discussion, we come to consensus and pray that it is
Gods will.

The National Council of Churches is the nations leading ecumenical body,
through which 36 U.S. denominations comprising 50 million members work to
address peoples spiritual and social needs.

-end-

NCC Media Contact: 212-870-2252/2227; news@ncccusa.org

Story based on report by Linda Green, United Methodist News Service.  See
http://umns.umc.org/03/oct/477.htm

---
Send E-mail address changes to: nccc_usa@ncccusa.org