From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

In Letters to U.S., Malaysian Officials, Edgar Blasts Bias

From "Nat'l Council of Churches" <nccc_usa@ncccusa.org>
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:35:29 -0400

Expressing Concern About Sectarianism in the U.S. Defense Department, NCC
General Secretary Bob Edgar Seeks Meeting with Donald Rumsfeld; Dr. Edgar
Also Writes Malaysian Prime Minister Decrying His Remarks Condemning Jews

October 20, 2003, NEW YORK CITY -- Hate speech, whomever it targets, is
wrong and dangerous.  That concern was reflected in two letters sent today
by National Council of Churches General Secretary Robert W. Edgar -- one to
Donald H. Rumsfeld about apparent anti-Muslim sectarianism in the U.S.
Department of Defense, the other to the Prime Minister of Malaysia for his
recent anti-Jewish remarks.

To U.S. Secretary of Defense Rumsfeld, Edgar addressed his concerns about
anti-Muslim bias expressed repeatedly by Lt. General William G. Boykin and
protested Boykin's recent appointment as Deputy Undersecretary of Defense
for Intelligence.  Edgar pressed Rumsfeld to reassign Boykin "to a less
sensitive position, one in which his religious convictions wont impair our
national security."

Edgar concluded by requesting a meeting with Rumsfeld for religious leaders
representing the National Council of Churches USA "to further discuss this
situation and the issues it raises."

In his letter to Mahathir Mohamad, Prime Minister of Malaysia, Edgar added
the National Council of Churches' voice "to the chorus of protest from
religious and human rights organizations condemning your remarks about Jews
on Thursday, October 16th at the Organization of the Islamic Conference."

"Hate speech -- whether it comes from western religious leaders, such as
Rev. Jerry Falwell to whom you referred in your follow up comments on
Friday, or Asian political leaders such as yourself -- seriously damages
peace and harmony in our fragile world," he wrote. "We have consistently
condemned remarks that malign the Muslim community and, similarly, we have
consistently condemned comments that malign the Jewish community."

The full texts of both letters follow.

*  *  *  *

October 20, 2003

Hon. Donald H. Rumsfeld
Secretary of Defense
US Department of Defense
The Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-1000

Dear Mr. Secretary:

Over the course of the last three days, there has been significant public
outcry regarding the appointment of Lt. General William G. Boykin to the
post of Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence. On behalf of the
National Council of Churches USA, which counts among its affiliates 36
national churches with an aggregate membership of more than 50 million
faithful Christians across the country, I am writing to protest this
appointment.

While General Boykin has the right to personally ascribe to an exclusive
form of religious faith, the sensitive position to which he has been
appointed, namely to lead the "hunt" for Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein,
does not allow for such sectarian hostility to Islam. This appointment is
not only an offense against Islam and its adherents, but also an affront to
the sensibilities of all well meaning Americans who defend the principles of
religious freedom and religious pluralism.

I would hope that this appointment does not represent an outright antipathy
toward Islam within the Defense Department, a concern that is raised by the
Departments reevaluation of procedures regarding the endorsement of Muslim
military chaplains. To avoid this perception, I urge you to reassign General
Boykin to a less sensitive position, one in which his religious convictions
wont impair our national security.

To further discuss this situation and the issues it raises, I request a
meeting with you for religious leaders representing the National Council of
Churches USA. Given the urgency of this matter, I look forward to receiving
a timely reply to this request.

Peace,

Rev. Robert Edgar
General Secretary

*  *  *  *

October 20, 2003

The Hon. Mahathir Mohamad
Prime Minister of Malaysia

Dear Mr. Prime Minister:

The National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA adds its voice to
the chorus of protest from religious and human rights organizations
condemning your remarks about Jews on Thursday, October 16th at the
Organization of the Islamic Conference.

Hate speech -- whether it comes from western religious leaders, such as Rev.
Jerry Falwell to whom you referred in your follow up comments on Friday, or
Asian political leaders such as yourself -- seriously damages peace and
harmony in our fragile world. We have consistently condemned remarks that
malign the Muslim community and, similarly, we have consistently condemned
comments that malign the Jewish community. Moreover, such speech does more
than malign. You cannot truthfully claim to be advocating nonviolent means
when your comments incite anti-Semitism, creating a climate conducive to
violent acts.

We call on you to stand on the high and noble principles of peace and
harmony to which your Muslim tradition, and indeed all our religious
traditions call us.

Yours sincerely,

The Rev. Dr. Robert W. Edgar
General Secretary