From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Portland mission reaches out to seafarers stuck on ships

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:25:38 -0500

Oct. 22, 2003 News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
ALL-AS-I{503}

By Kim Riemland*

PORTLAND, Ore. (UMNS) - Every year, about 1,000 ships pull in and out of the
Port of Portland, carrying sailors from all over the world.

Those aboard used to catch a ride into town for shopping or a phone call
home, but because of strict security regulations since the Sept. 11, 2001,
terrorist attacks, most seafarers are not allowed to leave their ship.

"I have no U.S. visa, I can't get out. I can't even make a phone call," says
Aristeo Canlas, a seaman from the Philippines.

Canlas has been away from home for almost three months. He is among the
estimated 25,000 seafarers who visit the Port of Portland each year.

"These 25,000 are probably the most in need," says retired United Methodist
pastor Joe Walker. "They work hard; they are away from their families. They
are basically lonely, and they just need to know that somebody cares."

Walker is a member of the Portland Seafarers Mission, an ecumenical ministry
serving the sailors who pass through the port. The ministry consists of
former sailors and dockworkers, clergy and business people, and it draws
support from Portland's Filipino-American community.

Volunteers go aboard ships to welcome the visitors, who might otherwise go
unnoticed. The volunteers run errands and shop for the seafarers, hold
religious services and provide reading materials, toiletries and cell phones
for crew members to use to call their families.

 Canlas can't stop smiling after placing a phone call home to his mother.

"I got a chance to call my family," he says. "I am happy."

"All of the seamen want to communicate with their family when they are in
port," says Corrie Lalangan, Portland Seafarers Mission board member.

Most of the seafarers are from developing countries. They can spend up to
eight months on a ship, away from their families.

Capt. Rufino Rejano Jr. says the Portland Seafarers Mission fills an
important role, especially now that most seamen can't go ashore.

"We seafarers are always in need of assistance," he says. "Thank you very
much."

The Portland Seafarers Mission is an Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference Advance
Special.
In addition to volunteers to drive the Seafarers Mission van to the docks,
the mission needs donations of magazines, books, razors, soap and other small
items to fill bags to welcome crews. Its goal is 25,000 bags a year.

Walker says he hopes those on board the ships know someone is glad they came
to visit.

Says Walker: "We just try to tell them somebody cares about them."

# # #

*Riemland is a UMNS correspondent based in Seattle.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org