From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3647 Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement hosts Halfway to

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:12:51 +0100

ACNS 3647     |     ENGLAND	|     24 OCTOBER 2003

Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement hosts Halfway to Lambeth conference
in Manchester

by Matthew Davies

After eighteen months of intense planning, the Halfway to Lambeth
conference, organised by the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement (LGCM),
began today (24 October) in Manchester, England.

The conference is host to overseas visitors and keynote speakers from
many parts of the Anglican Communion including: the Rt Revd Michael
Ingham, Bishop of New Westminster in Canada; the Revd Mario Ribas, a gay
priest in the Episcopal Anglican Church of Brazil; and the Very Revd
Rowan Smith, Dean of Cape Town Cathedral in South Africa. In addition,
the Revd Canon V Gene Robinson - set to be the first openly gay bishop
in the Anglican Communion when he is consecrated in New Hampshire on 2
November - will be taking part via a live satellite link.

The objective of the Halfway to Lambeth conference is to provide an
opportunity for bishops, and others from the Anglican Communion, to
listen to the experience of homosexual people - as laid out in
Resolution I.10 from the 1998 Lambeth Conference - and to make
preparations to ensure that the experience of lesbian and gay Anglicans
is fully and accurately reflected at the next Lambeth Conference in
2008.

At a press conference this afternoon, Richard Kirker, conference manager
and General Secretary of LGCM, said that he hoped the conference would
make conditions for a more informed debate throughout the Anglican
Communion.

Bishop Michael Ingham, who will address the conference on the topic of
Reclaiming Orthodoxy tomorrow morning, emphasised that the unity of the
Church cannot be built on injustice. "What we see in the Church is a
desire not to confront the issue of prejudice of Lesbian and Gay people,
something which I think will weaken the Church," he said. "I see
orthodoxy as a broad river, not a narrow stream." Bishop Ingham also
highlighted the need to distinguish between unity and uniformity. "Unity
runs much deeper," he said. "Many denominations resolve their disputes
by splitting up. Anglicans have tended to find ways to stay together and
live in mutual respect."

Rowan Smith, who has played a leading part in putting the Anglican
Church in the forefront of working for lesbian and gay equality in South
Africa, said that the voice of the [Anglican] Church is wider than just
the people from whom we have heard in the past few months.

Much of the recent airtime has been claimed by people voicing their
concerns over Canon Gene Robinson's consecration. Vice President of
Integrity, Uganda and Headmaster of a Primary School, Christopher
Senteza, said today that if [the] consecration goes ahead "it will be a
torch to us in Africa and will give us hope".

The Halfway to Lambeth conference will culminate on Sunday 26 October
with a service at 12:30pm in St John Chrysostom, Manchester, during
which Bishop Michael Ingham will be preaching.