From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] Letter to the Members of the Episcopal Church

From "mika larson" <mini.mika@verizon.net>
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:10:43 -0500

10/28/2003

Letter to the Members of the Episcopal Church

[Episcopal News Service] Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ:

The Executive Council, meeting October 24 -27, 2003, at Lake Geneva,
Wisconsin, began its work of overseeing the mission and ministry of the
Episcopal Church in accordance with the five program and budget
priorities established by the 74th General Convention. These priorities
are: young adults and youth; reconciliation and evangelism;
congregational transformation; justice and peace; and Anglican and other
partnerships. The Council endorsed 73 new international missionaries and
set an agenda to address millennium development goals, issues of war and
peace, and enhanced resources for young adults and youth ministry.

The council's focus on mission and ministry occurred amidst currents of
joy and distress set in motion by decisions of the General Convention.
We know that some experienced the consent to the ordination and
consecration of a bishop coadjutor for New Hampshire as furthering
acceptance and inclusion in the life of the church. We know that some
experienced the consent as disturbing to their deeply held moral beliefs
and readings of scripture. And we know that many are simply surprised
and perplexed, unaware that such a decision might be made. Around the
church faithful persons are now engaged in conversation about our common
life, about the things that unite us and the things that divide us.

As your Executive Council we commit to continue this dialogue, to listen
carefully to the perspectives of all the members of the church, and to
speak with respect and charity. We believe there is room in our church
for a wide spectrum of opinion and perspective. We seek the highest
possible level of communion with our brothers and sisters across our
church and among Anglicans around the world. We believe much more unites
us than divides us. We invite all in the church to join with us in this
effort and to follow the example set by the General Convention in
addressing divisive issues with civility, openness and charity.

We offer our profound thanks to our Presiding Bishop for his calm and
steady leadership during these difficult times. He has encouraged us to
engage one another and the wider world prayerfully, thoughtfully, and
patiently. We fully support his efforts to provide episcopal pastoral
care for all the members of the Episcopal Church according to the
guidelines developed by the House of Bishops in 2002.

We encourage all congregations and dioceses to engage God's mission to
restore all people to unity with God and each other in Christ. We
believe that we must act as ministers of God's reconciling love even as
we work out disagreements and conflict within our household. With a firm
commitment to the work of reconciliation and undefended hearts toward
one another, we trust in God to make good use of what we offer.

Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we
can ask or imagine; Glory to him from generation to generation in the
Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever. Ephesians 3:20, 21

Yours in God's mission,

The Executive Council