From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Forum Explores Christian Education in the African American

From "Nat'l Council of Churches" <nccc_usa@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:51:09 -0500

For Immediate Release

Churches Must Address Issues of the Day,
Ground People in Faith, Forum Leaders Say

NEW YORK CITY -- When it comes to Christian education -- whether in church
school classes or from the pulpit -- churches must tackle issues of the day
and offer their members a thorough grounding in the Bible and in their faith
tradition's heritage.

Those were messages heard repeatedly during an Oct. 16 forum in New York
City, held in conjunction with the Oct. 16-18 annual meeting of the National
Council of Churches Committee on Black Congregational Ministries.

The committee works to help NCC member communions and others bring an
Africentric perspective to their work of resourcing congregations,
especially those of African descent.  It holds forums with local
congregational Christian education leaders in conjunction with its annual
meetings to listen to their needs and consider how the committee can better
help meet those needs.

At the Oct. 16 forum, Dr. Ernestine Galloway of New York Theological
Seminary and The Riverside Church said, "We can't shy away from issues of
the day -- sexism, racism, sexual preference.  If we don't talk about it in
church, people will only get a view that we don't appreciate."

She also emphasized the importance of faith development, especially in this
day and age when people are becoming less attached to their denomination
and dont see the difference one from the other and when many people who
join churches do so to engage in social action.  They dont know in whose
name they act!

People need to become acquainted with the Bible as the Word of God, their
faith and its history, Dr. Galloway said.  We are talking about becoming a
Christian and how you live your life.

The Rev. Violet Dease, Assistant Minister for Christian Education and Social
Ministries at Abyssinian Baptist Church, agreed, saying, "If you've saved a
soul but not followed up to give that person some education, you've only
teased them," she said. "That sells the Gospel short."

Some new church members dont know what salvation is, how to get it or what
the benefits are, she continued.  They want to join Abyssinian Baptist
Church but they dont understand Baptist polity - whats significant about
being a Baptist?  If you dont teach people what it is to be a steward, they
wont get involved in programs, they wont understand Gods love was poured
out without measure, they wont know their rights, their privileges and
their responsibilities.

The Rev. Alberta Ware, Director of Church and Community Mobilization for The
Balm in Gilead, Inc., pressed churches to become centers of HIV/AIDS
education and testing and of compassion and care for people living with
HIV/AIDS.

She said pastors often claim, We dont have HIV/AIDS in our church.  The
Rev. Ware said she replies, You have HIV/AIDS in your church.	It may be
what you say in church that keeps them from letting you know.	She
challenges them to include HIV/AIDS infected and affected people in their
Sunday morning prayers.

Time after time, she said, these pastors report that affected members have
approached them to say, "Thank you for saying the prayer. I am worried about
.... "

These pastors come back to me and say, I didnt know, the Rev. Ware
said.

Panelists pressed Christian educators to be open and nonjudgmental
especially with children and adolescents.  While the Rev. Ware was director
of the youth department at Christ Universal Temple in Chicago, she said, she
would tell teens, Im shockproof.  And Im not judging you.

Be open, say and discuss anything, she urged Christian educators.  You
cant tell a teen to just say no.  I talk (with them) about how the
choices you make today affect the rest of your life.

The Rev. Dease added, Dont just talk to the kids in your church but also
to those playing out in the street.  Build a relationship.  Talk about
everything.  She urged the same sort of courage when building a Christian
education program.  If the senior minister asserts youth are the priority
but there is no budget for a youth program, say, Show me the money.
Churches find budget lines for Womens Day, Mens Day, trips,
anniversaries - the budget reflects where that churchs priority is, the
Rev. Dease said.

The Committee on Black Congregational Ministries five-year goals include
sponsoring a study trip to Africa, helping congregations and seminaries
acknowledge and affirm the broad spectrum of Christian education in African-
American congregations, and conducting Christian education events in each
city where it meets that include data gathering and networking.

The National Council of Churches, founded in 1950, is the leading force for
ecumenical cooperation among Christians in the United States.  The NCCs 36
Protestant, African American, Episcopal and Orthodox member denominations
comprise 50 million adherents in 140,000 local congregations across the
United States.

-end-

October 29, 2003
NCC Media Contact: 212-870-2252; news@ncccusa.org