From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Reuters reconsiders policy against religious advertising

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:00:09 -0600

Oct. 29, 2003 News media contact: Linda Green7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
   ALL{517}

By Linda Green*

NASHVILLE, Tenn.-The controversy surrounding a policy against religious
advertising on an electronic billboard in New York's Times Square has
compelled the Reuters communications company to reconsider its position.

United Methodist Communications had planned to showcase the United Methodist
Church's message of "open hearts, open minds, open doors," along with images
from the church's Igniting Ministry media campaign, on the billboard
beginning Nov. 15.   Those plans to place the $30,000 ad on the giant,
11-screen electronic display were changed after Reuters, which shares the
host building with Instinet, said the advertising violated company policy.

Controversy erupted once Reuters' policy against advertising that is
predominantly religious or political was widely publicized.  United
Methodists expressed concern about not being given the same access and
equitable treatment as a company that serves alcohol or other products.

United Methodist Communications and the Commission on Communication of the
National Council of Churches issued statements supporting the right of
religious organizations to speak in the public marketplace. The NCC called
upon communications corporations with policies that exclude religious voices
to re-examine such policies.

Reuters has always tried to maintain independence, integrity and freedom from
bias, said Thomas H. Glocer, Reuters' chief executive, in an Oct. 28 letter
to United Methodist Communications.

"Historically we have refused to take political or religious advertising in
order to avoid any suggestion that we may be endorsing the organization or
the view taken," Glocer stated.

"Your proposed advertisement and the evolution of our business has given us
cause to reconsider our position," he wrote.

Addressing the Rev. Larry Hollon, top executive at United Methodist
Communications, Glocer acknowledged that the United Methodist Church should
have the same access to speak in the public square as other consumers.

"On reflection, I believe that you are right," Glocer said. "Consumers have
become more sophisticated over recent years, and I think there is little
likelihood of an advertisement being viewed as the opinion of a news gatherer
such as Reuters."

He stated that Reuters would "review the terms of our lease and our
advertising policies in order to permit advertisement by religious
organization, subject to limitations."

Hollon said the swiftness with which Reuters addressed the situation
"reflects well upon the integrity of the company's leaders." He said the
action shows that the company was not only open to listening, but would
consider a policy change after hearing the concerns.

"They have indicated in a letter to me that Reuters would welcome our
campaign and this is very good news for us."

Hollon congratulated Reuters for its willingness to change its policy and
said United Methodist Communications "looks forward to the day when the
United Methodist Church is present in Times Square on the Reuters electronic
bulletin board."

United Methodist Communications, based in Nashville, launched Igniting
Ministry in 2001 to raise awareness of the denomination through a series of
national cable television commercials. The campaign also includes radio spots
and non-broadcast ads, matching grants, training resources and a Web
presence. The church's top legislative assembly, meeting in 2000, approved
funding the initiative with almost $20 million for a four-year period.

The United Methodist Church has 10 million members in the United States,
Africa, Asia and Europe.
# # #
*Green is a United Methodist News Service news writer in Nashville, Tenn.
UMNS, the news agency of the United Methodist Church, is a unit of United
Methodist Communications.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org