From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Reuters Reverses Decision; Its Billboard Will Carry Methodist

From "Nat'l Council of Churches" <nccc_usa@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:01:03 -0500

For Immediate Release

Editor's Note: The earlier NCC News release, "NCC Communication Commission
Criticizes Reuters for Refusing to Sell Billboard Space to United
Methodists," was dated Oct. 29, 2003, in e-mail and fax versions, reflecting
its release date.  It inadvertently failed to state that the commission's
criticism was lodged on Oct. 27.  Please keep that chronology in mind as you
update the story.

Reuters Reverses Decision, Allows Times Square Billboard to Carry Methodist
Ad

October 29, 2003, NEW YORK CITY -- The United Methodist News Service
reported today (Oct. 29) that international media giant Reuters had reversed
its earlier refusal to carry United Methodist "open hearts, open minds, open
doors" advertising on its Times Square headquarters building.

The NCC Communication Commission, in an Oct. 27 statement, had joined its
voice with that of United Methodist Communications to protest the denial of
space.

In an Oct. 28 letter to the Rev. Larry Hollon, top executive of the
denomination's communications agency, Reuters chief executive Thomas H.
Glocer said he agreed with Hollon that the denomination should have "the
same access to commercial space as any other organization."  Glocer
indicated that Reuters would move toward permitting "advertisement by
religious organizations, subject to certain limitations."

The United Methodist News Service story follows.

* * * *

Reuters Reverses Decision on United Methodist Times Square Advertising;
Billboard To Carry  ' Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors " Message

October 29, 2003, NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS) -- International media giant
Reuters has reversed its earlier refusal to carry United Methodist "open
hearts, open minds, open doors" advertising on its Times Square headquarters
building.

In an Oct. 28 letter to the Rev. Larry Hollon, top executive of the
denomination's communications agency, Reuters chief executive Thomas H.
Glocer said he agrees with Hollon that the denomination should have "the
same access to commercial space as any other organization."

"It reflects well upon the integrity of the company's leaders that they were
not only open to listening to us but also that they moved quickly to
consider a change in policy after hearing our concern," said Hollon, who
heads United Methodist Communications, which administers the denomination's
$21 million media campaign.

Glocer indicated that Reuters will move toward permitting "advertisement by
religious organizations, subject to certain limitations."

Hollon had protested Reuters' refusal to honor a Sept. 23 contract with
Outdoor Television Network Limited of Toronto for space on Reuters'
28-floor, 7,000 square-foot electronic billboard system. The site, which
Reuters' Web site indicates is viewed by 1.5 million people daily, has been
characterized as the centerpiece of New York's Times Square.

The most recent United Methodist television ad, "The Gift" was scheduled to
run on the display's central billboard 10 times daily Nov. 17-30. Additional
images from the denomination's Igniting Ministry media advertising campaign
were to be featured.

Glocer's letter, Hollon said, "indicated that Reuters would welcome our
campaign. Reuters is to be congratulated for its willingness to make this
change. We look forward to the day when The United Methodist Church is
present in Times Square on the Reuters electronic board."

After the initial denial of space and protests from United Methodist
Communications, Reuters issued an apology for a misunderstanding between its
outdoor advertising agency and the parent company. The advertising agency
also had offered equivalent space for the Thanksgiving season.

Subsequent statements by Hollon and the communication commission of the
National Council of Churches questioned the Reuters' policy, and whether
religious organizations were being denied equal opportunity to advertising
space.

"We asked for fairness and to be given the same opportunity to speak in the
commercial marketplace," said Hollon. "This decision reflects fair
consideration of our concern."

Hollon continued, "They took us seriously and have responded in a reasonable
and balanced manner."

Hollon said the United Methodist television commercials appeared on 17
national cable and broadcast networks earlier this fall. They included: ABC
Family Channel, AMC, Animal Planet, BET, CNN, Discovery Channel, Fox News
Channel, CNN Headline News, HGTV, MSNBC, NBC, TBS, Telemundo, TLC, TNT, TV
Land, Univision, USA Network, and The Weather Channel.

The television commercials are a major component of Igniting Ministry, the
denomination's four-year U.S. media campaign. The denomination has 10
million members in the United States, Africa, Asia and Europe.

NOTE: The complete text of the letter from Thomas H. Glocer, chief executive
of Reuters, follows.

Dear Reverend Hollon,

I have just returned from a week's travel to learn of the controversy
regarding the United Methodist Church's proposed advertising on the
electronic billboard at Reuters American headquarters at 3 Times Square.

As you know, Reuters building lease currently prohibits advertising of a
predominantly religious or political character. The Reuters Trust principles
require us to maintain Reuters independence, integrity and freedom from
bias. Historically we have refused to take political or religious
advertising in order to avoid any suggestion that we may be endorsing the
organization or the view taken.

Your proposed advertisement and the evolution of our business has given us
cause to reconsider our position. In the last two years, our media platforms
have grown to offer millions of consumers an independent environment to
consume insightful and timely news and information that is free from bias.
As well as electronic billboards, Reuters carries advertising on its
internet websites www.reuters.com <http://www.reuters.com> and print
publications.

You state on your website that your church should be given the same access
and opportunity to speak in the commercial marketplace as corporate
advertisers. On reflection, I believe that you are right. Consumers have
become more sophisticated over recent years, and I think there is little
likelihood of an advertisement being viewed as the opinion of a news
gatherer such as Reuters.

Provided it is made clear that the material in question is paid advertising
and that there is no possibility of confusion with our news output, I
believe you should have the same access to commercial space as any other
organization.

Accordingly, I am asking my colleagues (led by Chris Ahearn, President -
Media) to review the terms of our lease and our advertising policies in
order to permit advertisement by religious organizations, subject to certain
limitations. For example, we would not permit advertising that maligned
another religion. Since your proposed advertisement, as described to me,
would not raise such concerns, we would welcome your campaign.

I apologize for the apparent indecisiveness over your planned campaign. You
have given us cause to review our thinking, and for that I am grateful.

Sincerely,
Thomas H. Glocer
-end-

Contact: Nancye Willis, (615) 742-5406; e-mail: nwillis@umcom.org