From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3655 Network of HIV-affected religious leaders launched

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:25:52 -0000

ACNS 3655     |     UGANDA     |     29 OCTOBER 2003

Network of HIV-affected religious leaders launched today

[ACNS source: Tulleken and Associates, CPSA] A network of Religious
Leaders from across Africa living with and affected by HIV/AIDS was
launched today, 29th October 2003, in Kampala, Uganda. The launch was
timed to coincide with the 11th International Conference of People
Living with HIV/AIDS, held at the Speke Resort, Kampala.

Mr Stu Flavell, International Coordinator of the Global Network of
People Living with HIV/AIDS (GNP+) and guest of honour at the launch,
said he was pleased to have been able to be present at the inauguration
of the network, named ANERELA+.

GNP+ paid for 15 members of ANERELA+ to attend.

"ANERELA+ is there to support, without judgment, all Religious Leaders
living with or personally affected by HIV and AIDS," said the Revd Japi
Heath [South Africa], the Coordinator. "We hope that our presence in
Africa will serve to eliminate Stigma, Discrimination, indifference and
silence around HIV and AIDS."

The network already has more than 20 members from seven countries -
Uganda, Kenya, South Africa, Malawi, Burundi, Rwanda and Tanzania.
Ambitious plans will see the network grow next year to 12 countries,
said the Revd Japi Heath, who was invited to make a presentation to the
11th International Conference on the subject of religion, culture,
stigma and discrimination.

"We are hugely excited at being able to be part of the dawn of new
positive leadership in Africa," he said. "We believe that our active
involvement in this area will force the faith community to pull their
heads out of the sand and become the loving response we know they need
to be."

The Revd Canon Gideon Byamugisha [Uganda], chair of ANERELA+, also spoke
on the role of HIV+ clergy in the community HIV response.