From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ORTHODOX NETWORK POISED TO HELP CALIFORNIA FIRE VICTIMS

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@igc.org>
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:27:02 -0800

SCOBA
   The Standing Conference of the Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas
   8 East 79th Street, New York, NY 10021

INTERNATIONAL ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN CHARITIES (IOCC)
110 West Road, Suite 360, Baltimore, Md. 21204
Tel: (410) 243-9820 - Fax: (410) 243-9824
Web: www.iocc.org - E-mail: news@iocc.org

For immediate release

Oct. 30, 2003

ORTHODOX NETWORK POISED TO HELP CALIFORNIA FIRE VICTIMS

Baltimore (IOCC) -- An emergency response network of Orthodox Christians is
mobilizing to help victims of the wildfires raging in Southern California.

The network, organized by the U.S. Program of International Orthodox
Christian Charities (IOCC), will help people who have lost property as a
result of the fires. "We are looking to respond with monetary assistance to
the victims, as we determine what the victim count is and what the needs
are," said Fr. David Kossey, national coordinator of the network.

An appeal for funds to member parishes of the network went out on Thursday,
Oct. 30. Fr. Kossey is calling Orthodox priests in the affected areas in
California to determine the extent of the property damage among their
parishioners.

"It is in our power to help these and other victims directly by providing
money for immediate expenses," Fr. Kossey said. "By working with local
Orthodox priests, the network will locate the most vulnerable victims and
channel funds and other resources to them quickly."

At Prophet Elias Greek Orthodox Church in San Bernardino, Calif., five
families have suffered the loss of their homes because of the wildfires,
said Fr. Theofanis Degaitas, parish priest. "They've lost their houses
completely," Fr. Degaitas said. "Others have lost buildings on their
property."

The fire in the San Bernardino area has destroyed an estimated 520 homes,
killed four people, forced the evacuation of 80,000 people, and burned an
estimated 36,000 acres, according to news accounts.

Among the evacuees is Fr. Alexander Lisenko of St. Nicholas Orthodox Church
in San Diego. In Hesperia, near Big Bear, St. George the Great Martyr
Orthodox Church finds itself at a different kind of Ground Zero as
residents are evacuated and a fire command station is set up.

Fr. Demetrios Tsigas, pastor of St. Gregory of Nyssa Greek Orthodox Church
in El Cajon, Calif., has agreed to coordinate IOCC's response on the local
level. This is the fourth time in 2003 that the Orthodox network has been
activated.

IOCC is establishing the national network to give Orthodox parishes and
priests a shared mechanism for responding to disasters. Each of the 25
priests in the network will serve as regional coordinators for Orthodox
emergency response.

So far, 20 priests have been trained to be regional coordinators. The
priests are trained at Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, Va.,
in cooperation with Church World Service.

"We have been able to assemble the majority of our clergy team," said
Robert Pianka, IOCC's U.S. Program director. "Our next step will be to
build teams of qualified lay volunteers who can assist each clergyman."

"What Orthodoxy can do is, it can bring to disasters a canny and adept
response at whatever scale we're able to afford," Fr. Kossey said. "We are
working for a practical network to get practical things done for vulnerable
families in the first days and weeks of a disaster."

  Anyone interested in getting involved with the emergency response network
can call IOCC toll-free at:

1-877-803-4622. Contributions may be sent to: IOCC/U.S. Program, P.O. Box
630225, Baltimore, MD 21263-0225.

  Please indicate "California Fire Aid" on the outside of the envelope and
on the note line of your check.

For media inquiries, please contact IOCC Communications Associate Stephen
Huba at

1-877-803-4622 or shuba@iocc.org.

http://www.goarch.org/listserv/

The Archdiocese list is being made possible by the Greek Orthodox
Archdiocese Department of Internet Ministries.