From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Wildfires Destroy Homes of Lutherans in Southern California

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:37:14 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

October 31, 2003

Wildfires Destroy Homes of Lutherans in Southern California
03-198-MR

      CHICAGO (ELCA) -- About 25 families of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA) Pacifica Synod, based in
Yorba Linda, Calif., have lost their homes to the wildfires in
Southern California.
     The homes have suffered varying degrees of damage, the Rev.
Murray D. Finck, bishop of the ELCA Pacifica Synod, wrote in a
letter to members of the synod.
     "The devastation of the fire continues to grow within the
territory of our synod and beyond," Finck said.  "Although it
came close in some places, at this point we believe all of our
church properties have escaped the flames."
     The ELCA Pacifica Synod is made up of 60,000 members in 127
congregations.	The synod covers Hawaii and a portion of Southern
California, including San Bernardino, Riverside, San Diego,
Imperial and part of Los Angeles.
     "At least one pastor's home suffered some damage, but the
neighbors extinguished the flames before the whole house was
burned.  Many of our congregations and some of our pastors have
evacuated their homes.	We continue to hear more and more reports
from our congregations that some of their members have lost their
homes in the path of the fires.
     "We have no way at this point to assess the growing damages
within our own Lutheran family, but we are attempting to
coordinate our efforts with Lutheran Social Services, Lutheran
Disaster Response and others able to assist with emergency aid
and relief," Finck wrote.
     Plans for the distribution of food, clothing, items of
necessity and money will continue to unfold, Finck added.
     Lutheran Disaster Response, a ministry of the ELCA and the
Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS), is managing relief efforts
     According to recent news reports, the fire has claimed the
lives of 20 people, charred about 700,000 acres and destroyed at
least 2,600 homes.
     "The fires are not diminishing," said the Rev. Gilbert B.
Furst, director, Lutheran Disaster Response.  "Shifting and
strengthening winds continue and expand the flames, and there is
a threat some fires will combine to form 'super fires.'  How long
it will take to extinguish them is beyond speculation.	There is
hope the weather may become more favorable in a few days.  Many
communities are still evacuated," he said.
     The devastation caused by the wildfires is "not about multi-
million dollar vacation houses in the California mountains," said
Furst.	"These fires are about the homes of ordinary people like
you and me, some elderly who have lived 40 years in their homes,
people in small communities and their houses of worship . young
couples in their first homes, children who have lost their sense
of safety and security.
     "Yes, some multi-million dollar vacation homes have burned.
But the fires are likely to have a significant impact on
uninsured and minority communities," he said.
     "The fires have impacted Native American communities,
including the Rinco, San Pasqual and Barona Tribes, destroying
107 residences.  But the church is reaching out to help the most
vulnerable -- the elderly, the handicapped, the single parent,
the unemployed, the underinsured, the undocumented workers [and
others] trying to start a new life in this country," Furst said.
     Lutheran Disaster Response is coordinating relief efforts
through Lutheran Social Services of Southern California.  It
issued a $25,000 grant to LSS-Southern California on Oct. 30 to
provide operational support and emergency supplies.  Lutheran
Disaster Response is also working with local congregations and
the American Red Cross to provide "basic human needs.  Thrivent
Financial for Lutherans is working with Lutheran Disaster
Response to help provide financial support for food, clothing and
shelter," Furst reported.  Thrivent Financial for Lutherans is a
fraternal benefits society based in Minneapolis.
     Other relief work being initiated by Lutheran Disaster
Response includes providing "tools" for pastors to enable them to
deal with the grief and loss within their congregations and among
their neighbors; bringing experienced care providers to respond
to the needs of people; pulling resources from other national
faith-based disaster organizations; and planning for "Camp Noah,"
a weeklong day camp for children traumatized by disasters.
     Financial contributions will provide resources needed to
assist with immediate emergency needs, cleanup provisions, long-
term and unmet needs, as well as spiritual and emotional
counseling, Furst said.
-- -- --
DOMESTIC DISASTERS:

Editors: When listing organizations receiving funds to aid
survivors of major disasters inside the United States, Puerto
Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, please include:

ELCA Domestic Disaster Response
P.O. Box 71764
Chicago, Illinois 60694-1764

Credit card gift line: 1-800-638-3522