From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ABCUSA: Floyd Massey, Pastor and Denominational Leader, Dies

From "SCHRAMM, Richard" <Richard.Schramm@abc-usa.org>
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:51:49 -0500

American Baptist News Service (Valley Forge, Pa. 10/31/03)--The Rev. Dr.
Floyd Massey Jr., longtime pastor of Macedonia Baptist Church in Los Angeles
who served as vice president of American Baptist Churches USA, died Oct. 28
at age 88.

Massey led Macedonia Baptist from 1965 to 1988.  Prior to that he pastored
Pilgrim Baptist Church in St. Paul, Minn., for 20 years.

He was vice president of American Baptist Churches USA in 1974-1975 and held
numerous other leadership positions within the denomination.  In 1976 he was
elected vice president and chairman of the executive committee of the
Ministers and Missionaries Benefit Board.  He also served terms as president
of the American Baptist Churches of the Pacific Southwest and of the Los
Angeles Baptist City Mission Society.  A member of the American Baptist
Churches USA General Council (1969-1972) and then its General Board
(1973-1975), he also served as president of the Foreign Missions Board
(1962-1963).

In addition, Massey was a member of the boards of trustees of the American
Baptist Seminary of the West and Colgate Rochester/Bexley Hall/Crozer
Divinity School, a member of the executive committee of the (then) American
Baptist Convention's Black Caucus, and president of the Minnesota State
Pastors' Conference (1958), among many other positions.

A noted speaker, he preached at national conventions of American Baptist
Churches USA in 1967 and 1975.	He is the co-author, with Samuel McKinney,
of Church Administration in the Black Perspective (Judson Press, 1976).

A funeral service is scheduled for 11 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 8, at Second
Baptist Church in Los Angeles.

Condolences for his wife, Ethel, and family may be sent them at 1526 W.
124th St., Los Angeles, CA 90047.

American Baptist Churches USA General Secretary the Rev. Dr. A. Roy Medley
hailed Massey as "a shepherd, a motivator and an eloquent voice of wisdom
and compassion for the Gospel message."  He added, "We celebrate how
generously he shared his gifts with American Baptists in so many important
positions of leadership and influence within our denomination."

The Rev. Dr. Aidsand F. Wright-Riggins III, executive director of American
Baptist National Ministries and Massey's successor as pastor of Macedonia
Baptist Church in 1988, said, "Among Dr. Massey's greatest contributions is
that he sought always and in every ministry setting to help make the church
more Christ-like. He was a passionate prophet who would not remain silent on
the issues of our day yet was able to maintain a powerfully personal touch.
Above all, he cared deeply for people.	We will miss him as we strive to
live in the light of his legacy."

K/2003ABNS/03ABN130

American Baptist News Service: Office of Communication, American Baptist
Churches USA, P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851; (800)ABC-3USA x2077
/ (610)768-2077; fax: (610)768-2320; www.abc-usa.org;
richard.schramm@abc-usa.org