From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3659 Mixed feelings as first openly gay Anglican bishop is

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Mon, 3 Nov 2003 04:21:14 -0000

ACNS 3659     |     USA     |	  3 NOVEMBER 2003

Mixed feelings as first openly gay Anglican bishop is consecrated

Over 3,000 people, including 54 bishops and ecumenical guests, gathered
today at the Whittemore Center - part of the University of New Hampshire,
Durham - to celebrate one of the most controversial and momentous occasions
in the history of the Anglican Communion.

The Rt Revd V Gene Robinson, an openly gay man, was consecrated as
Bishop-coadjutor of New Hampshire this afternoon in a three-hour long
ceremony that involved choirs, bell ringers, brass bands and thunderous
applause, but also heard the witness of some Episcopalians who were not so
happy with the first openly gay bishop to be consecrated in the Anglican
Communion.

There is always a point during a consecration service when people are asked
whether they know of any just reasons why the person should not become a
bishop. Before any objections were raised the Presiding Bishop of the
Episcopal Church, USA (ECUSA), reminded everybody that "the people who are
to speak are our brothers and sisters in Christ and there should be no
public responses voiced from the congregation".

One of the objections was read by Meredith Harwood, a parishioner of St
Mark's Episcopal Church, Ashland, NH. "To press forward with this
consecration will be to turn our backs on Almighty God," she said. "This is
the defiant and divisive act of a deaf church.... The vast majority of
Anglicans worldwide have told us not to take this step which many of them
see as a scandal, yet we are deaf to their cries." She concluded her speech
by saying, "We must not proceed with this terrible and unbiblical mistake
which will not only rupture the Anglican Communion, it will break God's
heart."

The Rt Revd David Bena, Bishop Suffragan of the Diocese of Albany, read a
statement that endorsed the "assessment of the Primates of the Anglican
Communion". Part of the statement, which was signed by 38 bishops from the
Episcopal Church, said, "All Christians, and bishops in particular, are
called to guard the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of
God... It is impossible to affirm a candidate for bishop and symbol of unity
whose very consecration is dividing the whole Anglican Communion."

After the pronouncements had been raised, Bishop Griswold said that, as
there were no objections other than those which had already been debated
extensively at General Convention and at other times, the consecration would
proceed. He added that "one of the African Primates at the meeting in
Lambeth Palace [two weeks ago] had said that the Holy Spirit can be doing
different things in different places and I think that's precisely what we
are doing here."

During the sermon the Rt Revd Douglas Theuner, VIII Bishop of New Hampshire,
expressed his confidence in Gene Robinson's consecration to the episcopate
saying, "Because of who you are Gene, you will stand as a symbol of the
Church like none of the rest of us can. Because of your presence, the
episcopate will be more of a symbol of unity than it ever has been."

Bishop Theuner continued by describing what he called "defining moments" in
the Christian life. "When an abused woman attends a bible study in a local
church and feels enough love and support there to realise that she is a
child of God filled with worth and value...that's a defining moment in
Christian life. When a young man unsure of his sexual orientations reads
'The Episcopal Church welcomes you' on a sign outside a church and enters
that church and finds out through the love and acceptance of its members
that the church really means what the sign says, that's a defining moment in
the Christian life."

It is biblical interpretation that is the driving force behind the entire
altercation regarding human sexuality, and the conservative debate is
grounded firmly in the belief that the Bible is clear on homosexual
practice, not to be altered or interpreted in light of cultural
developments. Many societies in the West are coming to terms (however
uneasily) with the presence and participation of homosexual people in the
church and in society but countries in the southern hemisphere are far more
uncomfortable with the matter.

Questioned by an interested news editor, the Sub-Dean of the Anglican
Cathedral in Harare said, "It is the Bible that decides on the way forward
because it is the final authority or reference point on this matter. Bishop
Robinson must be expelled from the Church and no Anglican must pull out of
the Church in protest."

The American Anglican Council issued a strong statement shortly after the
consecration asking for people to redirect their financial giving "to
ministries or organizations that call Jesus Lord". The statement also
included such lines as "Heresy has been held up as Holy" and "Blasphemy has
been redefined as blessing".

On the other side of the dispute the Revd Colin Coward, Director of Changing
Attitude - a national organisation of Bishops, Priests and Lay People in the
Church of England calling for the full participation of lesbian and gay
people in the Anglican Communion - said that "Gene Robinson's ministry will
inspire lesbian, gay, bisexual and heterosexual Christians with new
confidence that we have a full place at the communion table of our Lord. The
highest offices of the church can be open to lesbian and gay people without
pretence." He added that "a new honesty is present, undermining the secrecy
of 'don't ask, don't tell' policies and the fear of discovery and abuse
which many lesbian and gay Christians live with."

Outside the hall protestors gathered from both sides of the issue. One
person told ACNS that "Gene Robinson is living his life in defiance of the
Lord God almighty". Marshall Greenleaf, a student from the University of New
Hampshire, said that he felt it was about time that people came together and
accepted one another.

The Revd Richard Kirker, General Secretary of the Lesbian and Gay Christian
Movement, said, "Despite all the furious debate this ordination has stirred,
what strikes me as I speak to people here, is the admiration and love felt
by all who know Gene Robinson. Even those who are troubled by his sexuality
are full of praise for him as a Man of God, pastor and teacher."

He added, "We Christians have so much to unite and inspire us, let us seize
the moment and let our love for each other triumph over our divisions."

Bishop Robinson told the congregation this afternoon that, although he felt
deeply honoured, he urged compassion towards church members angered and
upset by his consecration.

"Our God will be served if we are hospitable and loving and caring towards
them," he said, fighting back the tears. "If they must leave, they will
always be welcomed back into our fellowship."

[Photographs to accompany this article are available from
http://www.anglicancommunion.org/acns/articles/36/50/acns3659.html.]