From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[ENS] International reaction to consecration in New Hampshire mixed

From bmerer@episcopalchurch.org
Date Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:14:17 -0500

11/05/03

International reaction to consecration in New Hampshire mixed

By Jan Nunley

[Episcopal News Service] The November 2 consecration of the Rev. V. Gene
Robinson as bishop coadjutor in the Diocese of New Hampshire brought swift
and varied reactions from Anglican leaders around the world-and dire
warnings that the future of the Anglican Communion is in jeopardy. At the
same time, it was evident that not everyone was prepared to rush into
schism.
A statement, issued by Archbishop Peter Akinola of Nigeria "for and behalf
of the working committee for the Primates of the Global South," said that
they were "appalled" that the Episcopal Church USA "ignored the heartfelt
plea of the Communion not to proceed with the scheduled consecration" and
the "clear and strong warning of its detrimental consequences for the unity
of the Communion."

The statement, issued on the day of the consecration, said that the
consecration "clearly demonstrates that authorities within ECUSA consider
that their cultural-based agenda is of far greater importance than obedience
to the Word of God, the integrity of the one mission of God in which we all
share, the spiritual welfare and unity of the worldwide Anglican Communion,
our ecumenical and inter-faith relationships."

As a result, "A state of impaired communion now exists both within a
significant part of ECUSA and between ECUSA and most of the provinces within
the Communion." The statement urged the archbishop of Canterbury to "bring
forward urgently a mechanism to guarantee adequate provision of episcopal
oversight" for parishes and clergy within ECUSA and the Diocese of New
Westminster in the Anglican Church of Canada.

In a radio interview, Akinola said, "We can no longer claim to be in the
same Communion. We cannot go to them and they cannot come to us. We will not
share communion. We have come to the end of the road."

'Devil has entered the church'

Archbishop Benjamin Nzimbi of the Anglican Church of Kenya was equally
blunt, announcing that his church will have nothing to do with Robinson or
any of the 53 bishops who participated in his consecration, refusing to look
upon them as fellow Anglicans. "We cannot be in the same communion with
Robinson, his diocese and the bishops who were in the consecration."

When pressed about what cutting ties meant, he said that the Kenyans would
not accept any support from the Episcopal Church, including missionaries.
"The devil has clearly entered the church. God cannot be mocked," he said.

As a columnist in the Times of London pointed out recently, "The Anglican
Communion has been out of communion with itself since at least 1989 when the
American Church appointed Barbara Harris as its first woman bishop. What's
one more schism among such friends."

Archbishop Gregory Venables of the Province of the Southern Cone in South
America added his voice. "The United States have declared independence. I
think the chances of consensus are very slim. We are having a time of
separation and thinking. We are not saying it is a divorce yet." The
consecration, however, "is robbing us of the dialogue we could have had to
find a way forward."

Archbishop Peter Jensen, who branded Robinson as a "bishop of disunity,"
said that he expects two distinct strands of Anglicanism to develop as a
result of the sexuality controversies. He said, "This creates a split for
the first time in a particular area and that's a tragedy but it's necessary
if the truth is to be preserved."

In New Zealand, Bishop Thomas Brown said that, while he was opposed to the
consecration, the church should not dwell on its divisions. "The church is
not so much a place to stand and divide as it is a place to love and unite."

No litmus test on funding

According to Archbishop Drexel Gomez of the Province of the West Indies, a
majority of Anglicans would be willing to sacrifice their financial support
rather than accept the consecration of Robinson. "America does make the
largest contribution to the worldwide Anglican Communion. That's a matter of
fact," he said in an interview with the Nassau Guardian. "As much as we need
the money, the gospel must come first. We are prepared to suffer."

Funding agencies have made it very clear, however, that support is not
conditioned by theological agreement. Akinola has warned of a financial
backlash "against the financially weak church in Africa" if its opposition
was too loud. He said that African churches must become self-reliant so that
"our boldness in condemning the spiritual bankruptcy" of the rich churches
could be matched by a refusal to accept their money.

The issue was addressed at a recent meeting of the Council of African
Provinces in Africa (CAPA) in Nairobi.	Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold
sent a letter challenging rumors that the Episcopal Church "has threatened
African primates with withholding our support. The Episcopal Church has no
ideological litmus test for overseas partners and has 'punished' no one for
holding different opinions of church order."

The Rev. James Calloway, director of grants for Trinity Church Wall Street,
said in a presentation at the CAPA meeting, "We do not believe we have to
see eye to eye with you on every issue to work with you around common
mission concerns... You don't have to agree with us to be eligible for a
Trinity grant." He said that Trinity would continue to partner with
provinces and dioceses regardless of their views in the on-going sexuality
debate in the Anglican Communion. He reported that, in the last five years,
Trinity had given 84 grants throughout every province in Africa.

Another Eames commission

 The swirling controversy places more pressure on a special commission
appointed by the archbishop of Canterbury to find a way for Anglicans to
maintain some kind of unity in the face of serious disagreements.

Archbishop Robin Eames of Ireland, appointed to head the commission-similar
to the task he accepted in 1988 when the issue was the ordination of
women-was cautiously hopeful. Noting that "we are moving into unknown
territory," when asked whether a split was inevitable, he said, "I don't
think you can prevent a realignment. I sincerely hope we can prevent what
you call a split."

 "We're still here, because we looked at ways in which the pastoral
guidelines could be accepted across the world to maintain the highest
possible degree of unity-and I believe we can do it again," he said.

He also said that the Robinson consecration and the approval of blessing
same-gender relationships in the Diocese of Westminster in Canada "do not
represent the mind of the Anglican Communion as a whole."

As he has in the past, Archbishop Njongonkulu Ndungane of the Province of
the Church in Southern Africa struck a much more conciliatory note, offering
his congratulations to Robinson and offering prayers for him.

 Some express joy with consecration

Other voices were delighted with the consecration. Dean Colin Slee of
Southwark Cathedral in London said that Anglicans should rejoice that "at
last there is an open and honest consecration of a homosexual bishop within
the church. There have been many before but they have not been honest or
open."

 "His ministry will inspire lesbian, gay, bisexual and heterosexual
Christians with new confidence that we have a full place at the communion
table of our Lord," said the Rev. Colin Coward, director of Changing
Attitude, a British organization of Anglican bishops, priests and lay people
that promotes a more open attitude in the church.

"This consecration is God's way of making the church come to terms with
homosexuality," said Christopher Ssenyonjo, a retired Ugandan bishop.
"Bishop Robinson did not elect himself, he was elected by others. To me it
seems God inspired them to vote that way."

Acknowledging the deep divisions among Anglicans, Archbishop of Canterbury
Rowan Williams issued his own statement immediately following the
consecration. "The divisions that are arising are a matter of deep regret;
they will be all to visible in the fact that tit will not be possible for
Gene Robinson's ministry as a bishop to be accepted in every province in the
Communion."

Yet Williams said that those who participated in the consecration "have
acted in good faith on their understanding of what the constitution of the
American Church permits. But the effects of this upon the ministry and
witness of the overwhelming majority of Anglicans, particularly in the
non-Western world, have to be confronted... Precisely because we rely on
relations more than rules, consultation and interdependence are essential
for our health."

In the meantime, the man at the center of the controversy expressed an
eagerness to begin his ministry. "I have plenty to do in New Hampshire,"
said the Rt. Rev. Gene Robinson, the church's newest bishop. "I have plenty
to do in those dioceses that will welcome me-and in time, just as has been
true with women (bishops), I will be welcomed in other places as well. It
really won't hinder my ministry at all," he told Kim Lawton of the PBS
television program, "Religion and Ethics NewsWeekly."

-- James Solheim is director of Episcopal News Service