From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Black youth seek leadership roles, respect in church

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:11:23 -0600

Nov. 12, 2003  News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
E-mail: newsdesk@umcom.org ALL-AA-YE{549}

NOTE: This report is a sidebar to UMNS story #548.

By John W. Coleman Jr.*

WASHINGTON (UMNS) - Although the United Methodist Ebony Bishops' Summit on
the State of the Black Church drew only a few youth and about a dozen young
adults, they and the concerns of their generations took center stage in much
of the discussion.

Addressing the assembly, young participants discussed the importance of
mentoring, giving youth leadership roles in church, and respecting their
cultures and perspectives.

"It's essential for youth to gain an understanding of God, but we need to
relate the Bible to our lives," said Christa Scott, a youth member of Central
United Methodist Church in Kansas City, Kan. She told listeners that youth do
not always relate well to sermons based on adult experiences and insights.
"We haven't had those experiences," she explained. "We have to be able to
teach and empower each other."

Leon Franklin, a seminary student from Nashville, Tenn., defended the
integrity and positive influences of some rap music and hip-hop culture,
versus the stereotypes created by disapproving middle-class, middle-aged
black adults with their own negative influences.

The Rev. Candace Lewis founded the growing, youth-oriented New Life United
Methodist Church in Jacksonville, Fla., six years ago.

"Starting a new church right out of seminary was one of the best things to
happen to me," she said. She recommended that African Americans start more
new churches in black communities and use video, computer games and other
popular technologies to attract younger generations.

# # #

*Coleman is the co-director of communications for the Baltimore-Washington
Annual Conference.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org