From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3672 Gene Robinson begins episcopate with call for

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:27:59 -0000

ACNS 3672     |     USA     |	  13 NOVEMBER 2003

Gene Robinson begins episcopate with call for inclusion

by James Solheim

[ACNS source: Episcopal News Service] Even as the controversy over the
November 2 consecration of V Gene Robinson as the church's first openly
gay man to be elected to the episcopate continued to simmer among
Episcopalians around the world, he quietly began his ministry with a
pledge to take the message of God's love to "those on the margins".

Pointing out that Jesus spent a major part of his ministry with women,
tax collectors and foreigners instead of the wealthy and leaders of the
synagogue, Bishop Robinson told the congregation at All Saints Church in
Peterborough, a week after his controversial consecration, that Jesus
"looked at the religious establishment of his day and realized that they
had closed their eyes to those on the margins. Think of all the kinds of
blindness right outside this door: not seeing people in need or turning
the other way when we do," he said.

He also said that the church must speak out on social issues. "How dare
we in this country spend US$87 billion on war when 44 million people
have no health insurance?" he asked.

Bishop Robinson also expressed the hope that those who disagree with his
election and consecration will remain in the Episcopal Church, and not
leave. "A church founded on unhappiness and anger is not going to go
very far," he said.

Issues still simmering

The controversy is also simmering in New Hampshire.

At Sunday services at Church of the Redeemer in Rochester a group
estimated at 40 people walked out to protest the dismissal of their
interim priest by Bishop Douglas Theuner of New Hampshire. The Revd
Donald Wilson has publicly opposed the election and consecration of Gene
Robinson and told the current Bishop of New Hampshire, the Rt Revd
Douglas Theuner, that he would never accept the new bishop. The church
itself had recently voted 28 to 10 to oppose Gene Robinson.

"In view of your letter to me of October 29 in which you stipulate in
terms of your loyalty that you 'have none for V. Gene Robinson' who now
shares ecclesiastical authority with me as Bishop Coadjutor of the
Diocese of New Hampshire, and given the insubordinate way in which you
responded to my request for a meeting through a phone call by my
secretary this afternoon, I am withdrawing your license to officiate in
the Diocese of New Hampshire herewith."

The Revd Donald Wilson said that he had made it clear that Gene Robinson
had the right of annual visitation "but suggested pastoral alternatives
given the position of the majority of my parishioners". The Revd David
Anderson, president of the American Anglican Council (AAC), said that
Bishop Theuner's actions "represent an act of war against a small
church... To rip from their midst a pastor who has faithfully served
this parish is an unconscionable act." Donald Wilson was called out of
retirement last August to serve the parish.

Two church members interrupted the service and started to read a
statement in which they insisted that they would not accept communion
from a priest who accepted Gene Robinson's consecration. The Revd Marthe
Dyner, who had been sent by the diocese to preside at the service, had
invited those who had concerns to meet after the service. She called it
"a very sad day" and admitted that "it doesn't feel to me that we're
holding together as a family in Christ".

Alternative pastoral care

Addressing the issue after services in Peterborough, Bishop Robinson
said that Donald Wilson was not removed simply because he opposed the
consecration, arguing that a refusal to submit to the authority of a
bishop is "a violation of his ordination vows".

The Rochester parish and another in Ashland, New Hampshire, are seeking
episcopal oversight from the Diocese of Albany in New York. The Revd
Hays Junkin, head of the diocesan standing committee, said that it was
not likely that the bishops would release conservative parishes from
their oversight but might make provision to involve other bishops in
pastoral care.

Bishops Theuner and Robinson have said that they will be happy to meet
with any congregation wishing to consider alternative episcopal pastoral
care. "We'll consider any option available under the Constitution and
Canons of the Episcopal Church," Bishop Theuner said. Under church
rules, no bishop may exercise pastoral oversight or intervene in another
diocese without the express permission of the diocesan bishop but the
House of Bishops adopted guidelines in 2002 for providing alternate
care.

Hays Junkin said that parishes could take Bishop Robinson at his word
that "he's going to do everything he can to minister to their parish in
ways that are appropriate and acceptable to them. Gene will find a way
to be a pastor even to the clergy who disagree with him."