From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Latino United Methodists learn value of Social Principles

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 17:05:02 -0600

Nov. 13, 2003 News media contact: Linda Green7(615) 742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
7 E-mail: newsdesk@umcom.org  ALL-HIS {552}

NOTE:  A photograph is available.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (UMNS)--"We acknowledge our complete dependence upon God, in
birth, in life, in death and in life eternal. Secure in God's love, we affirm
the goodness of life and confess our many sins against God's will for us as
we find it in Jesus Christ."

No, the words are not part of some pledge or oath to join an organization.
The words are a part of the preamble to the Social Principles, "a prayerful
and thoughtful effort on the part of the General Conference to speak to the
human issues in the contemporary world."

Many United Methodists are not aware of their denomination's beliefs nor of
the church's legacy of advocacy, said the Rev. Clayton Childers, staff member
of the United Methodist General Board of Church and Society (GBCS).
Increasing that awareness is the reason that a group of Hispanic ministry
leaders came to Washington, D.C. for the first ever Social Principles
training event for United Methodist Latino leaders.

"Faithfully Engaging the World" brought 44 Latinos to the United Methodist
Building Oct. 31-Nov. 2 to meet with GBCS staff and for an "opportunity to
come together and discuss the church's Social Principles and learn practical,
experiential methods of teaching the Social Principles in local ministry
settings," Childers said.

The training provided the Rev. Tim Espinoza with the opportunity to learn
about the commitment of the denomination to human rights.

"I was surprised at the extent to which the United Methodist Church is
involved in worldwide to human rights," said Espinoza, pastor of Fuente de
Vida United Methodist Church, Oklahoma City.

"The church is a constant voice of justice," he said.  "I was surprised at
this and happy to learn about the level of commitment the church has."

As GBCS director of annual conference relations, Childers said it is
unfortunate that many United Methodist leaders are not well versed in the
Social Principles and "many are unaware of our rich history of prophetic
advocacy and action in the public square."

While numerous members are aware of what the church teaches about societal
issues, Childers said just as many are hesitant to talk about those issues in
church.

"There are ways the Social Principles can be discussed respectfully, and
without division," he said, knowing that everyone is not going to agree with
every point.   Referring to the document's preface, he said, "The
principles," he said, "exist to lead United Methodists into 'prayerful
studied dialogue and faith of practice.'"

He noted that the Social Principles could draw United Methodists together,
challenge them and lead them to take actions that faithfully engage the
world.

"The Social Principles are important," said Thelma Flores, a doctoral student
at United Methodist-related Drew University, Madison, N.J.  "There needs to
be greater awareness of what we as United Methodist believe," she said.

Flores, a member of the Emanu-El United Methodist Church, Dallas, said the
opportunity to meet with the GBCS members and to attend the training event on
the Social Principles was empowering for her as a member of the Rio Grande
Annual (regional) Conference. She said the event enabled her to "gain
whatever knowledge I could and bring it back to the Rio Grande."

The benefit of such a training event was in the meeting of Latino ministry
leaders from across the United Methodist Church who have an interest in the
Social Principles, Flores said. "I also appreciated the fact that they
brought John Wesley into the event, tying us back to the roots of who are and
what we believe."

The training event also enabled the participants to put a human face on
societial issues and to gain familiarity with the scope of the GBCS work.
The participants also heard from one another about community advocacy needs,
priorities and passions and to brainstorm about the ways the board can
effectively support Latino ministry.

*The Social Principles may be found on pages 95-121 of the 2000 Book of
Discipline of the United Methodist Church

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org