From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Condemns Turkish Bombings

From "Leslie Tune" <ltune@ncccusa.org>
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:20:08 -0500

Media Contact: Wesley "Pat" Pattillo, wpattillo@ncccusa.org; 212.870.2048

National Council of Churches Statement on Bombing of Turkish Synagogues

New York, November 17-The National Council of Churches USA vigorously
condemns the bombing of two synagogues during services this past weekend in
Istanbul, Turkey.

Our prayers extend to the families and loved ones of all the victims of this
brutal violence - Jews, who were the main targets, and the many more Muslims
who were by-standers.

We stand in solidarity with Jewish communities in Turkey and throughout the
world who feel particularly vulnerable in this climate of violence.  We
further stand together with Muslim communities whose faith is denigrated by
terrorist groups propagating violence in the name of Islam, such as the one
that claimed responsibility for this attack.
The National Council of Churches has historically affirmed that all people
have a right to peaceful assembly and freedom of worship. We have further
affirmed that wherever that right is denied to one group of religious
people, this right for all people is threatened.

We, therefore, renew our call to all our member communions to:

* Remember in prayer all victims of religious violence
* Extend a hand of cordial fellowship to Jewish and Muslim sisters and
brothers in neighborhoods throughout our nation
* Promote non-violence, justice and peace in our world.

###

Statement issued November 17, 2003

---
Send E-mail address changes to: nccc_usa@ncccusa.org