From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

No Subject

Statement by Metropolitan Community Churches On The Occasion Of The
Massachusetts Supreme Court Decision To Legalize Same-Sex Marriage

A Message From Rev. Troy D. Perry
MCC Founder and Moderator

Today, gays and lesbians took another historic step forward in the march for
equality as the Supreme Court of Massachusetts ruled 4-3 that same-sex
couples
are legally entitled to marry under the state constitution.

In its decision, the Court stated, "The state has no reason to ban same-sex
marriage."

Unlike the Canadian marriage court decision which was immediately
implemented, the Massachusetts Supreme Court ruling ordered the state
Legislature to come
up with a solution within 180 days. The decision stopped short of allowing
marriage licenses to be issued to the couples who challenged the law.

In July of this year in Toronto, Canada, I legally wed my partner of 18
years, Phillip Ray DeBlieck. During our wedding, I told the press I believed
that
at least one state in the United States would rule in favor of same-sex
marriage within five years. I had no idea this would happen within five
months.

I salute community leaders and activists in Massachusetts who have worked
tirelessly to bring equality to that state's marriage laws. I am especially
pleased to recognize MCC clergyperson Rev. Joan Saniuk, whose work on behalf
of
marriage equality has made a profound difference in that state.

Our work is not done, and this victory is not final. There is already a
strong movement in the Massachusetts Legislature to circumvent this court
ruling
with an anti-gay amendment to the state constitution.

History will view today's decision in Goodridge et al. vs. Department of
Public Health as one of the most significant steps in our ongoing struggle
for
GLBT equality under the law.

Metropolitan Community Churches, which performs more than 6000 same-sex
weddings each year, celebrates today's decision and reaffirms its work to
assure
that equality under the law is provided to all citizens.

/signed/

Rev. Troy D. Perry
MCC Founder and Moderator

(END)

For Additional Information, Contact:
Jim Birkitt, Director of Communications
or
Roman Cardenas, Associate Director of Communications
Metropolitan Community Churches
8704 Santa Monica Boulevard, 2nd Floor
West Hollywood, CA  90069
Tel. 310-360-8640, Ext. 226 or 228