From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[PCUSANEWS] Lights! Camera! Christmas!

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:12:04 -0600

Note #8016 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Lights! Camera! Christmas!
03500
November 19, 2003

Lights! Camera! Christmas!

Salem church prepared for national Christmas broadcast taping

by Jerry L. Van Marter
and the members and staff of
First Presbyterian Church, Salem, OR

SALEM, OR - The cable is being run. The lights are being hung. Technicians
are scurrying around. Participants - some calm, some nervous - are
rehearsing.

	First Presbyterian Church of Salem is on the eve of the recording of
a Christmas service that will be telecast nationwide on CBS on Christmas Eve.
Taping of the 60?minute program, titled "Receive the Gift," will take place
tomorrow (Nov. 20) at 6:30 p.m., Pacific Time.

	Arnold "A.J." Johnston, producer of the program for the Presbyterian
Church (USA)'s Media Services Office has been in town all week. Greg
Kapfhammer, Media Services coordinator arrives today, as do the CBS camera
crews.

	Officiating at he service will be the church's pastor, the Rev.
Robert J. Elder, assisted by associate pastor Karen S. Pollan, with the
participation of the congregation's choirs, specially invited musical guests
and members of the congregation.

	The church's choirs have been practicing for weeks under the guidance
of Christine Welch, director of music ministries. Music will be provided by
the church's 55 voice adult Chancel Choir; the Youth Chorale (grades 7?12);
Seraphim Choir (grades 4?6); Cherub Choir (grades 1?3) directed by Shelly
Heller; the Canterbury Bell Choir; and organist Pamela Miller.

	In addition, special guests participating in the service will include
the The Voce Femina Women's Choir from Willamette University, directed by
Christine Welch; the Willamette University Chamber Choir, directed by Wallace
Long; and the Willamette University Male Ensemble, directed by Paul Klemme.

	A final music "dress rehearsal" is planned for today.

	To create a holiday atmosphere in the sanctuary, church members have
decorated with poinsettias, new satin bows for the Christmas trees and fresh
pine wreaths. Two 15-foot Christmas trees will grace the chancel, though some
trimming of lower branches will be necessary to make more room in the chancel
for the numerous musicians involved in the service.

	The Thursday taping culminates a process that began months ago, when
CBS approached the PC(USA) with the opportunity to have one of its churches
host the Christmas Eve broadcast.

	First Presbyterian Church of Salem was one of the many Presbyterian
churches around the country that responded to the Media Services Office's
invitation to apply to host the telecast. The selection process took about
two months, including site visits by Johnston to a number of "finalists."

	According to Elder, the Salem church was selected because of the
quality of the church's musical programs and services, the diversity of the
congregation's membership, the congregation's record of support of
denominational mission causes, and the broad
participation of church members of all ages in its choirs.

	Johnston said one factor really swung the decision in Salem First's
favor - the sanctuary has recently been remodeled with resulting superior
acoustics. "One of the
major factors under consideration was the room," said Johnston. "First Church
Salem lends itself exceptionally well to the positioning of cameras, lights,
microphones and crew for a good visual and sound presentation."

	"We feel very humbled by this opportunity and it is our hope that
through this service we will be able to reach out to viewers all over the
country on the night that we set aside to celebrate the birth of Jesus
Christ," said Elder. "We are particularly hoping our service will be a
blessing for those who cannot get out of their homes for a service that
evening."

	Because there will only be 350 available seats in the sanctuary for
worshipers from the 1,100-member church at the taping, a live video feed also
will be available in the church's social hall for those who cannot be
accommodated in the sanctuary. Videos and DVDs of the broadcast are also
being made available for $10 each.

	In addition to the broadcast service, the First Presbyterian Church
of Salem will hold its traditional live services on Christmas Eve at 7p.m., 9
p.m. and 11 p.m.