From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Religious Leaders Strongly Oppose Energy Bill

From "Leslie Tune" <ltune@ncccusa.org>
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:40:15 -0500

Brethren Witness - Washington Office * Coalition on the Environment and
Jewish Life (COEJL) * The Episcopal Church, USA * Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America * Fellowship of Reconciliation * Friends Committee on
National Legislation * Mennonite Central Committee, US - Washington Office *
National Council of Churches * Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Washington
Office * Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations * United Church
of Christ - Justice and Witness Ministries * United Methodist Church -
General Board of Church and Society

Contact: Cassandra Carmichael
	   443-822-3720
	   Cassandra@toad.net

RELIGIOUS LEADERS REJECT U.S. ENERGY BILL AS UNJUST, UNSUSTAINABLE
Strongly Urge Senate to Oppose Legislation

Washington, D.C., Nov. 19-A group of religious organizations joined together
this week to stand in strong opposition to the proposed Energy Policy Act of
2003 being considered in the Senate today. In a letter sent to Senators this
morning (see below), a coalition of religious leaders including
representatives from the United Methodist Church, the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America, and the Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life
(COEJL), spoke against the bill because it does not include higher fuel
efficiency standards, a renewable portfolio standard, or any steps to curb
U.S. greenhouse gas emissions. The group also opposes the provision in the
bill to give massive subsidies to the fossil fuel and nuclear industries-a
move that they contend promotes further exploration over conservation.

"We hoped that Congress would adopt a national energy policy rooted in the
core values of justice and sustainability," says John Hill, program director
for environmental and economic justice for the United Methodist Church. "The
energy bill fails to chart a bold path for the future and instead
perpetuates the unjust and unsustainable practices of the past."

The interfaith letter was sent in response to House and Senate conference
committee approval of a final version of the energy bill that includes $23
billion in tax incentives for industry. The measure, a top priority for
President Bush, has already been approved by the House and is being debated
in the Senate today.

"We believe the United States can and must meet the energy needs of the
present without sacrificing environmental protection, despoiling pristine
lands, and putting at risk the needs of future generations," says Hadar
Susskind, the Washington representative for COEJL, which is based in New
York. "People of faith have long recognized our responsibility as stewards
of God's creation and the proposed energy legislation falls dangerously
short of this responsibility."

Although the bill has already passed in the House, the religious groups have
asked their constituents to call and fax their representatives in the Senate
today to urge them to oppose the legislation.
.
-end-

Media Contact: Cassandra Carmichael, 443.822.3720, Cassandra@toad.net

Brethren Witness - Washington Office * Coalition on the Environment and
Jewish Life (COEJL) * The Episcopal Church, USA * Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America * Fellowship of Reconciliation * Friends Committee on
National Legislation * Mennonite Central Committee, US - Washington Office *
National Council of Churches * Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Washington
Office * Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations * United Church
of Christ - Justice and Witness Ministries * United Methodist Church -
General Board of Church and Society

November 18, 2003

The United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator:

	Earlier this year, representatives of the faith community wrote to
you and
urged adoption of a national energy policy rooted in the core values of
justice and sustainability.  We continue to believe the United States can
and must meet the energy needs of the present without sacrificing
environmental protection, despoiling pristine lands, and putting at risk the
needs of future generations.  Unfortunately, the final conference agreement
on HR 6, the Energy Policy Act of 2003, fails to chart a bold new path for
the future and instead perpetuates the unjust and unsustainable practices of
the past.  We therefore urge you to oppose this legislation.

People of faith have long recognized our responsibility as stewards of God's
creation.  As individuals, congregations, and communities we are committed
to pursuing God's vision of a restored creation.  To do so requires a change
in current patterns of behavior and a reordering of our priorities.

	While we applaud the legislation's increased funding for renewable
energy
options, we remain alarmed at the unjust disparity between these provisions
and the massive subsidies included for fossil fuel and nuclear energy
industries.  Likewise, we support the continued protection of the Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge from oil and gas exploration, yet are concerned by
provisions that could put at risk other sensitive ecosystems.  Furthermore,
the omission of higher fuel efficiency standards, a renewable portfolio
standard, or any steps to curb US greenhouse gas emissions, represents a
failure to address the present unsustainable patterns of energy usage.

While we are still sorting through many of the provisions buried in the
1000+ page bill, early reports have unearthed a number of industry-specific
exemptions, liability shields and tax breaks.  The sum total of these
provisions, along with the delay in certain clean air act requirements,
represents a perpetuation of a system that values exploration over
conservation, industry protection over creation stewardship, and the present
over future generations.

Now is a time for bold leadership.  We therefore ask you to reject HR 6, the
Energy Policy Act of 2003, and pursue instead new legislation fully
incorporating our shared values of environmental justice, creation
stewardship, and intergenerational responsibility.

Sincerely,

Hadar Suskind
Washington Representative
Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life (COEJL)

Phil L. Jones
Director
Brethren Witness - Washington Office

Jim Winkler
General Secretary - General Board of Church and Society
The United Methodist Church

Sonia Dueno
Coordinator - Washington Office on Vieques
Fellowship of Reconciliation

Robert Keithan
Director, Washington Office for Advocacy
Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations

Rev. Dr. Pat Conover
Legislative Director
United Church of Christ - Justice and Witness Ministries

Danielle Welliever
Director for Environmental Education and Advocacy
Lutheran Office for Governmental Affairs
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

The Rev. Elenora Giddings Ivory
Director
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Washington Office

Maureen Shea
Director of Government Relations
The Episcopal Church, USA

Brenda Girton-Mitchell
Associate General Secretary for Public Policy
National Council of Churches

J. Daryl Byler
Director - Washington Office
Mennonite Central Committee U.S.

Joe Volk
Executive Secretary
Friends Committee on National Legislation

---
Send E-mail address changes to: nccc_usa@ncccusa.org