From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodist helps Liberian children victimized by war

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:42:25 -0600

Nov. 20, 2003 News media contact: Tim Tanton7 (615)742-54707 Nashville, Tenn.
E-mail: newsdesk@umcom.org 7ALL-AA-AF-YE-I{CUL008}

NOTE: This story is part of a weeklong Close Up series on how the United
Methodist Church is helping Liberia recover from war. Photographs, video
reports and other features are available.

By Joni Goheen*

MONROVIA, Liberia (UMNS) - The 14-year war in Liberia has spawned a
generation of young people who have no life experiences apart from armed
conflict.

Some young people helped support their families by carrying arms in the war;
nearly all of them were victimized by the conflicts.

An effort to provide normal life activities, recreation, and counseling for
former victims and victimizers is a daily challenge for Sabah Thomas
Dweh-Chenneh, director of youth and adult ministries for the Liberia Annual
(regional) Conference.

Dweh-Chenneh works at places such as the Fendel Internal Displaced Persons
camp, where more than 60 percent of the residents are young people. The
United Methodist program at the facility some 20 minutes from Monrovia
includes opportunities for recreation, study and counseling.

On one recent visit, Dweh-Chenneh brought two soccer balls, one for the girls
and one for the boys. "Sometimes by just creating a situation where the
children can play, the energy release alone can be therapeutic, especially
when activities are in the context of Christian love and care," he explained.

"Expending this kind of energy was previously only accompanied by violence,"
he said. "The balls that we bring to them symbolize that we Liberians need to
play together and not fight each other.

"Sports and study create an environment in which we can help the young people
deal with the trauma most of them experienced in war or in running away from
conflicts," he said. "Most of our counseling is done in groups where young
people share similar experiences."

Dweh-Chenneh said his ministry is less tangible than others that offer
material goods.  "We don't have a warehouse full of food. We want to be their
friends, to get to know them, to know their problems, to play with them, to
pray with them and see how we can help them through counseling.

"A lot of these children have been through terrible times that interfered
with normal developmental stages, and sometimes the violence messed up their
self-esteem," he said. "We are helping them learn that the future is in their
hands. They can't rebuild our country by simply sitting in a camp for
displaced persons."

Rebuilding a war-torn country can be a lengthy enterprise, noted James Oliver
Duncan, president of United Methodist University in Monrovia. A
rehabilitation program established in Nigeria in 1969 operated until 2000, he
said.

Following the war, the government established rehabilitation centers,
counseling centers and extensive psychiatric services.	"Liberia has quite a
great task before it," Duncan said. "Our concern should be with the children,
the young folks, who have not learned anything else or seen anything else for
the past 14 years but war (and) violence."

While Dweh-Chenneh understands the daunting task that lies ahead, he is
undeterred. He has seen success firsthand.

"About seven years ago, I was languishing in a refugee camp. While I was
there, people from this department conducted these same ministries with young
people in the camp," he said. "Due to their exercises and information in
their workshops, I started to think about how I could come home to make
contributions in my own country."

After four years of study in the United States, Dweh-Chenneh returned to work
with young people who are wrestling with problems similar to those he had in
a similar camp.  "I have been there," he said, "and I know exactly what they
are going through."

# # #

*Goheen is a freelance writer living in Morrison, Colo.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org