From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commentary: Liberians must 'pave road to justice'

From "NewsDesk" <NewsDesk@UMCOM.ORG>
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:29:52 -0600

Nov. 21, 2003  News media contact: Tim Tanton7(615)742-54707Nashville, Tenn.
E-mail: newsdesk@umcom.org7ALL-AF-RM-I{CUL007}

NOTE: This commentary is adapted from a statement issued by Bishop John G.
Innis, leader of the United Methodist Church's Liberia Area, on Oct. 16. A
photo and video footage of Innis are available.

A UMNS Commentary
By Bishop John Innis*

The United Methodist Church of Liberia welcomes wholeheartedly the national
transitional government of Liberia under the leadership of Chairman Gyude
Bryant and Vice Chairman Wesley Johnson. We pray and hope for success of the
implementation of the comprehensive peace agreement, which brought the
transitional government into existence.

Although the road to the comprehensive peace was very long and very
difficult, through the Grace of the Almighty God, it came to pass.  We are
most appreciative of the role of the international community in providing
assistance leading to the establishment of the transitional government.

We applaud the initiating role of the people of Liberia in their collective
efforts for peace over war. No doubt, this action for peace on the part of
the Liberian people provided the basis for the assistance received from the
international community.

Let us be completely honest with our people and say that what we are
experiencing is the cessation of hostilities, the absence of war. But the
absence of war does not necessarily mean the presence of peace. Real peace is
the peace that only God can give. And the peace of God, the real peace, comes
through justice.

To have peace, we must have justice; we must be fair to one another. We must
love our neighbors as ourselves. At this point in our lives, we must love our
country more than ourselves and make decisions for the betterment of all our
people.

We have to pave the road to justice. To do this, the security environment in
Liberia must be stabilized.

We look forward to the completion of the 15,000-strong United Nations
stabilization force. Most crucial for the stabilization of the security
environment is the disarmament, demobilization and reintegration of former
combatants. Unless the former combatants are disarmed and engaged in useful
activities, they will be available for another armed conflict. When former
combatants and potential combatant become useful citizens, then there will be
no more armed conflicts.

As the security situation improves, internally and externally displaced
Liberian can then be resettled.

For effective resettlement to occur, there has to be in operation meaningful
programs for the rehabilitation of infrastructure and the provision of basic
social services.

The war has led to the loss of lives and properties. However, the most
damaging aspect of the war is the low value that many people have placed on
life.

To raise the value on life among people, there must be widespread spiritual
renewal, where people place the highest value on life rather than material
things.

The deep hatred underlying the great harm done from person to person must be
eradicated through genuine confession, reconciliation and forgiveness. We
must develop a truthful approach to living so that our hearts are cleansed of
hatred and become filled with love for one another. It is essentially this
spiritual renewal that will encourage us to install and sustain a system of
justice for all. Then, with justice for all, peace can prevail.

Since this support will not last forever, let us become truthful, honest and
committed to work together for the full implementation of the comprehensive
peace agreement, as we pave the way for the holding of free and fair
elections in 2005.

Many agreements have been signed in the past only to be thrown into the
dustbin of history with critical aspects unimplemented. The United Methodist
Church of Liberia pledges here and now to mobilize its internal and external
resources to spare no efforts whatsoever in motivating Liberians and friends
of Liberia to implement fully the comprehensive peace agreement.

Let us drop the "business as-usual" attitude and pick up the
"business-as-progress" approach to build a new Liberia for the better.

Let us therefore empower Liberians to maximize their own resources for the
growth and development of our nation. It is our hope and prayer that those
who are placed in public positions will practice honest stewardship and
adhere to the laws of this country.
# # #
*Innis is leader of the United Methodist Church's Liberia Area, with offices
in Monrovia.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org