From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Resend African Alliance of Reformed Churches Launched

From cfouke@ncccusa.org
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:07:41 GMT

For Immediate Release
AACC Media Team: (011) 237 966 3059 or 3063

AFRICAN ALLIANCE OF REFORMED CHURCHES LAUNCHED

Yaounde, Cameroon -- An Alliance of Reformed Churches has been launched in
Africa, the Rev. Dr. Setri Nyomi, General Secretary of the World Reformed
Churches announced at the All Africa Conference of Churches' women and
youth pre-assembly opening ceremony Wednesday night (Nov. 19) in Yaounde.

He said the launching of the Alliance of Reformed Churches in Africa
(ARCA) was chosen to coincide with the women and youth pre-assembly in
recognition that women are the givers of life as they give birth to
babies, while the youth are the hope of Africa.

He said his organization was not in competition with the AACC as an
ecumenical movement for the church in Africa, but rather was to see how
they can work together to strengthen AACC in a manner that will reflect
theological ways to tackle challenges like injustice, conflicts,
exclusions, poverty eradication, diseases and many others.

He affirmed that there was none other than AACC that was prepared to lead
the church in Africa and that together, they are all looking at those
challenges in Africa. He said there was commitment on the members of the
ARCA in the "mission that God has called us to together."

Rev. Nyomi said it was time the continent shouldered its own
responsibility and not look to the West. In the past, he said, people
talked of "we want to be, we want to be, but now we say, we are."

The idea of having ARCA was the vision of the Rev. Dr. John Gatu from
Kenya. The president of the newly born body is the Rev. Dr. Masi Gams from
Cameroon.  He is supported by four representatives from southern, western,
eastern and central Africa regions.

AANA News

By Joseph K'Amolo

---