From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Resend Struggles, Strengths of African Youth, Women Noted

From cfouke@ncccusa.org
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:02:24 GMT

For Immediate Release
AACC Media Team: (011) 237 966 3059 or 3063

STRUGGLES, STRENGTHS OF YOUTH, WOMEN NOTED AT PRE-ASSEMBLY

Yaounde, Cameroon - Calls to recognize the importance of Africa's women
and youth in church and society marked the joint opening ceremony Nov. 19
of two pre-assemblies to the All Africa Conference of Churches 8th
Assembly, to meet here Nov. 22-27.

 "Youth aren't just tomorrow's Africa, they are Africa today," said the
Rev. Dr. Mbangue Eboa, Chairman of the 8th Assembly's Local Organizing
Committee.  "African women are no more just women who feed the babies at
home.  They are wives, mothers, citizens, companions, employers,
employees, founders of societies."

For their part, "youth have to struggle with the earth, the forest, the
sea to find what to eat," he said.  "They also have to struggle with
scissors, computers and hammers in order to have a better future.  They
struggle to get better training and to get jobs commensurate with their
training."

The ceremonies were hosted by the Messa II Presbyterian Church in Yaounde,
where the Women's Pre-Assembly continues through Friday (Nov. 21).  The
Youth Pre-Assembly moves to the nearby Briqueterie I Evangelical Church
for the balance of its three-day meeting.

As participants arrived, at sunset, for Wednesday evening's ceremonies,
they were greeted in the church's spacious courtyard by more than 200
members of the Association of Christian Women of Marie Gocker Presbyterian
Church in downtown Yaounde.

Accompanied by drummers, they sang, danced, blew whistles, whooped and
pulled people out of the audience one by one to dance, then as they filed
out two by two, other Christian women's associations took turns singing
their welcomed to all who had gathered.

"In Cameroon, we are in the heart of Africa.  In these coming days the
heart of Africa will vibrate!," proclaimed the Rev. Dr. Andrew Karamaga of
the newly formed Alliance of Reformed Churches in Africa as the opening
ceremonies moved into the church.

The evening's speakers brought both greetings and challenges to those
assembled.  The AACC's President, the Rev. Dr. Kwesi Dickson, said, "The
church is growing very, very fast in Africa.  We keep saying that the
center of Christianity is shifting from the (global) north to the (global)
south.	You are all aware of that fact.

"It is important that we should assess this development very carefully.
We should constantly examine what we are holding dear as Christians.  Are
we convinced in our daily living that we hold dear to Christ and not to
any other being?"

The AACC's General Secretary, the Rev. Dr. Mvume Dandala, said that
without women, most churches would close down.

"There is great universal truth in the saying 'the hand that rocks the
cradle, rocks the world' - more especially so in Africa," he said, going
on to affirm the progress being made by more churches that are beginning
to recognize the need to allow women their rightful place in the life of
the church as ordained clergy and leaders.

Reminding the youth present that leaders like Nelson Mandela, Julius
Nyerere and Patrice Lumumba - in the quest for Africa's liberation -
started their work as young people, he urged that they too should have a
vision for Africa and a plan for the realization thereof.  At the same
time, he warned that effort and commitment would be required of them.
(See related story for more from Dr. Dandala's address.)

Mrs. Madeleine Sarah Tiki-Koum, President of the Women's Department of the
Federation of Churches and Protestant Missions of Cameroon, challenged
women to work so that "we, our brothers and sisters, our churches and our
continent are always respected.  I ask the AACC to always think of and
include women."

For all coming to the AACC Assembly, she said, "May your work be supported
by the three Ps - Peace, God's peace in you so that you may be artisans of
peace; Partnership, so men and women join forces for reconstruction at all
levels, and Prosperity, that your sojourn in Cameroon will be prosperous
in happy events for you, your churches, your countries and the whole
world."

Mr. Maxim Ledoux Tapoko, President of the Cameroon church federation's
Youth Department, offered a challenge: "Churches of Africa have a choice,"
he said, "to embrace Africa and work for her good, or cross their arms and
stand aside.  Sickness, AIDS, poverty, and misery can't continue."  The
AACC's 8th Assembly "takes place just when Africa needs it," he said.

Carol Fouke   AACC

---
Send E-mail address changes to: nccc_usa@ncccusa.org