From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Embark on Evangelism Strategy Implementation

From NEWS@ELCA.ORG
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:30:45 -0600

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 24, 2003

Lutherans Embark on Evangelism Strategy Implementation
03-217-MR

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Seeking to support congregations and
inviting people to the faith, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA) has started implementing its new evangelism
strategy this fall.  To guide its 5 million members in the
process, the church has issued a new booklet and video and
launched a new Web site.
     "The resources are a potpourri of possibilities that a
congregation might be able to use [for] some encouragement on
becoming a witness, not just to be a passive observer but to
realize that Jesus Christ is giving us a mandate to go the ends
of the earth," said the Rev. Robin J. McCullough-Bade, a member
of Galilean Lutheran Church, Corpus Christi, Texas.  McCullough-
Bade is serving as interim pastor at Grace Presbyterian Church,
Lafayette, La.	She is a pastor of the ELCA but authorized to
serve in a Presbyterian church under the 1997 Formula of
Agreement between both churches.
     The 2003 ELCA Churchwide Assembly adopted "Sharing Faith in
a New Century:	A Vision for Evangelism in the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America" Aug. 13.  The churchwide assembly is
the chief legislative authority of the ELCA.  The strategy
includes a definition of evangelism, expected outcomes of the
strategy, process of evaluation and four primary objectives.
Evangelism serves as one of the five strategic directions of the
ELCA.
     According to McCullough-Bade, "Strategies get shelved very
quickly, unfortunately.  So, we wanted to follow up with some
immediate resources to use during the season of Epiphany, which
is a great season of sharing the light of Christ in the world,
and Lent, a season of prayer.  Part of the strategy lifts up a
call to prayer."
     "Sharing Faith in a New Century:  Inspiration for
Witnessing" is a 24-page booklet based on the ELCA evangelism
strategy.  It includes four Bible studies related to the
strategy's four objectives:  to pray for the renewal of the
church, prepare and renew leaders, teach discipleship, and start
and renew congregations across the country and the Caribbean.
The booklet also provides bulletin inserts and suggestions for
celebrating the church seasons of Epiphany and Lent.  McCullough-
Bade and her husband, the Rev. John McCullough-Bade, wrote the
booklet.
     A new video, "Shining Witnesses" accompanies the booklet.
It combines visual images and music to "stimulate and inspire
reflective conversations" about evangelism.  The video focuses on
some key questions:  Why is it so difficult to tell the old story
of Jesus and his love?	How do we witness in our unique contexts?
And, how can we become more effective witnesses?
     John McCullough-Bade said, "The video uses only images and
music to help engage the listener, the participant, to get in
touch with thinking about evangelism, how to do evangelism and
develop contacts in our places of work and where we live.  It
begins with a very comfortable and familiar scene of a Christmas
candlelight service and the light that shines in the darkness.
It also [features] images of darkness in the world and how we can
become shining witnesses in the darkness.  The video is designed
to open up conversation and invite people to think about what it
means to be a witness."
     "You Shall Be My Witnesses" is a new Web site maintained by
the evangelism team, ELCA Division for Congregational Ministries.
The Web site -- http://www.elca.org/dcm/evangelism/ -- contains
the text of the evangelism strategy, resources, frequently-asked-
questions, assessment tools for evangelism and more.  There are
four primary areas to access information and ideas for leaders,
individuals, the 10,721 congregations and 65 synods of the
church.  The Web site also houses the "Shining Witnesses" video
and information on obtaining these and other resources on
evangelism.

For information contact:
http://www.elca.org/news