From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3689 Diocese of Toronto begins discussions on same-gender

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:02:58 -0000

ACNS 3689     |     CANADA     |     26 NOVEMBER 2003

Diocese of Toronto begins discussions on same-gender blessings

[ACNS source: Diocese of Toronto] The Diocese of Toronto has embarked on
a year-long process to discuss the issue of same-gender blessings. The
diocese's Synod, its governing body, approved the process at a meeting
in Toronto on November 21.

The process will include information sessions for clergy and laity on
March 6, April 3, April 24 and May 1, 2004, followed by a special
session of Synod in the fall of 2004. Parishioners will also be
encouraged to discuss the issue in their churches. Archbishop Terence
Finlay said the process will help Anglicans in the diocese discuss and
reflect on the issue before making any decisions.

"When Anglicans make decisions on important matters, we take time to
ensure that all those who are involved and whose lives are affected by a
decision, have an opportunity to listen and to be heard," he told about
850 Synod members. "We take time to learn and share experiences, so that
we allow the Holy Spirit to work with us and through us in the building
of God's kingdom.

"Obviously, this topic brings not only many different viewpoints, but
for many, it also creates a strong emotional response. The challenge is
not to shy away from our emotions and perspectives and hope it all goes
away, but instead, to ask what we believe God wants for his people
today, and to do it in such a way that respects and honours the
viewpoints of others.

"We, as the people of God, strive to continue in the apostles' teaching,
and are being asked to discern God's will for God's church. We can only
do this faithfully by being open to and respectful of one another and to
listen as intently as possible for the voice of God."

Synod deferred until next fall's Synod a motion from Holy Trinity,
Toronto, which sought to have some parishes designated as places where
same-gender blessings could take place. Synod also deferred a motion
from St Ninian's, Scarborough, to petition the federal government of
Canada to overrule the court's decision on same-gender marriages.

Throughout the process for the discussion of same-gender blessings, the
diocese will provide information and updates on a regular basis to all
Anglicans through its Web site, www.toronto.anglican.ca and its monthly
newspaper, The Anglican.

For more information please contact:

Stuart Mann