From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CHURCH WORLD SERVICE on WORLD AIDS DAY

From "Ann Walle" <awalle@churchworldservice.org>
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:38:59 -0500

CHURCH WORLD SERVICE REACHES OUT WITH AN EMBRACE
ON WORLD AIDS DAY

Statement by Executive Director Rev. John L. McCullough

New York, November 26 - As the world marks another World AIDS Day this
December 1, we call on people of faith everywhere to join in prayer with and
for individuals and families affected by HIV/AIDS.  We pray also that each of
us will realize that AIDS affects us all.  We must own this together as a
common challenge.  We remember those who have lost their lives to AIDS, and
we embrace the hope of an awakened spirit to respond to this pandemic with
even greater urgency in the year ahead.

This World AIDS Day is focused on addressing and overcoming the stigma and
discrimination associated with the illness.  The aim is to encourage people
to break the silence and the barriers to HIV/AIDS prevention and care, and to
affirm the dignity and human rights of those who are HIV+.  Churches the
world over have the capacity to play a tremendous role in these areas, both
by providing pastoral care to those affected by HIV/AIDS and by speaking with
a prophetic voice to the issues.  The religious community has tremendous
history in confronting stigma and discrimination in other areas, and must
bring its moral weight to bear on this one as well.

As in most years, this World AIDS Day falls during the season of Advent.  A
time of hope, of anticipation and longing, of promise and preparation, Advent
is a reminder that we live in the "not yet" time, as we await the coming of
light that will transform the world.  In that spirit, let us look to World
AIDS Day as a time to share hope, light, and encouragement with one another,
and reach out in love and kinship to those whose hope may be all but
extinguished.

HIV and the disease and death related to AIDS are devastating the human
family - our family - worldwide.  The capacity now exists to provide
individuals with treatment that will hold AIDS in check and render it more a
chronic disease than a fatal one.   With adequate resources and facilities,
lives could be prolonged and orphans prevented.  We call on people of faith
to continue to press our elected leaders to be generous in funding HIV/AIDS
programs so as to bring more hope to the 42 million individuals already
infected by this disease, and to stem its otherwise inevitable spread to
countless others.

As we observe the 16th World AIDS Day, we encourage everyone to participate
in appropriate commemorative programs and worship services.  We also urge
that throughout the year, we all reach out to protect and educate others, and
provide hope and help to all who are living with HIV and AIDS.

In closing, let me share with you a prayer from South Africa.

Prayer of Hope

God of Hope
All of us are affected by HIV/AIDS.
At this time of Advent Hope,
As we prepare for the coming of your son into this world
We give thanks for signs of hope.
For growing understanding
For medical advances
For changing attitudes and behaviour
For greater awareness and concern in your church.
God of Unity
Bind us together with strong ties of love
That this church community may be a place where
All can find acceptance,
May it be a place of welcome for all affected by HIV/AIDS.
May it be a place where care is given and received, especially for affected
children and youth,
Where stories are told and heard,
Where fear is overcome by love,
Where you are to be found.
Amen.

- The Diakonia Council of Churches in South Africa

To commemorate World AIDS Day 2003, Church World Service is helping to
support "Signs of Hope, Steps for Change," a poster exhibition at the UN
portraying reactions to stigma and discrimination, and "Live and Let Live,"
an evening of performance at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York
City.

For information:

Ann Walle
Church World Service