From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Rev. Dr. Nyansako-Ni-Nku of Cameroon is New AACC President

From cfouke@ncccusa.org
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:03:17 GMT

For Immediate Release

Photo Follows

REV. DR. NYANSAKO-NI-NKU OF CAMEROON IS NEW AACC PRESIDENT

November 27, 2003, Yaounde, Cameroon -- Applause and cheers met the
following announcement as the All African Conference of Churches 8th
Assembly closed Thursday evening:  "We have a new President, and it's the
Rev. Dr. Nyansako-Ni-Nku of Cameroon."

The news of the election of Dr. Nku of Buea, Cameroon, Moderator of the
Presbyterian Church in Cameroon and Second Vice President of the
Federation of Protestant Churches and Missions in Cameroon, came from the
AACC's outgoing President, the Rev. Dr. Kwesi Dickson of Ghana.

Dr. Nku was promptly serenaded by a Cameroonian choir - which offered a
selection from South Africa.

In a news conference Friday morning (Nov. 28), he stressed the importance
of good communications and of a strong voice from the churches.

"There is such a paralyzing fear for people to criticize their
governments because of the consequences," he said.  "The only salvation
for the people is to listen to the church.  The church has to have high
morals and to raise strong ethical issues."

He said, "The churches have a responsibility to raise concerns of justice
and of equitable sharing of resources.	It means the church must conduct
itself with such integrity that its words carry weight.  We must set our
own house in order.

"Greed," Dr. Nku said, "is one of the greatest poisons of our time.  Why
build many houses and own many cars when you can only sleep on one bed at
a time?"

One of the AACC's tasks, he said, is to "get the information, analyze and
expose the injustice Africa has been exposed to on a daily basis."  He
had harsh words for leaders who engage in "massive looting of resources"
and who "instead of addressing poverty use the funds to enrich the rich."

Dr. Nku, who served as General Secretary of his denomination before being
named Moderator four years ago, is author of several books,
including "Cameroon, Keep God," a collection of sermons, and "Days of Our
Lives."  He edited "Journey of Faith," a history of the Presbyterian
Church in Cameroon, and "Footprints," theological essays.

"We must proclaim the Gospel with willingness to resist the threats to
our lives," Dr. Nku said.  "I belong to the theology that you have to
identify the demons and name them by name.  That is very risky.  We who
are called to ministry must realize the call to discipleship has its
costs."

Dr. Nku also spoke a strong word for inclusion of all in the life of the
church and the rebuilding of Africa.

"I think what I have heard the Assembly say over and over is that all
Africans have to be full participants in the reconstruction of the
continent," he said.  "That's why we spent a whole day on HIV/AIDS so
that people with HIV infection not be so stigmatized that they not be
able to make their contribution to the rebuilding of Africa.  The idea is
to be a completely inclusive community and not an exclusive one."

As the AACC embarks on the next five years, he said, "We will start with
the most urgent social problems."  One is HIV/AIDS, and the AACC's
program will include an advocacy component, Dr. Nku promised.

"Pharmaceutical companies have been Africa as another big market - that's
an open secret," he said.  He envisioned "our General Secretary, backed
up by leaders of our churches and of Africa, combining to serve up a
strong lobby to ensure that the money meant for AIDS victims doesn't go
for high-profile jobs or meaningless conferences while people are
suffering."

Asked his views on Christianity's relationship to African indigenous
religions, Dr. Nku acknowledged the latter's value and the importance of
communicating the Christian Gospel in the context of African culture,
adding, "When Christianity comes into head-on conflict with our culture,
Christ must be supreme."

Dr. Nku, the new President, has been associated with the ecumenical
movement for many years. He attended the AACC's 1974 Assembly in Lusaka
as a youth delegate and later wrote the report of that Assembly,
entitled "The Struggle Continues."  He also attended the Nairobi and Lome
Assemblies.

He has served his church as head of its Communication Department, having
received communication training at the AACC's communications training
center in 1971 and began his career as a broadcaster and journalist.  He
studied journalism in England (Sheffield) and earned a double masters in
sacred theology and communications in the United States.  He also has
taken coursework at the World Council of Churches' Ecumenical Institute
in Bossey, Switzerland.

Dr. Nku was a delegate at the WCC Conference on Ecumenical Sharing of
Resources in El Escorial, Spain, in 1987.  He led his church's delegation
to the WCC Assembly in Harare, Zimbabwe, in 1998.  Dr. Nku is a member of
the Faith and Order Commission of the World Council of Churches and a
member of the Executive Committee of the World Alliance of Reformed
Churches.

He describes himself as an "intensely family man."  Dr. Nku is married to
Grace Mbong, a secondary school teacher of history.  They have four
children: two girls and two boys.

In the Assembly's closing hours, delegates also elected vice presidents
from each of the AACC's regions and a new 40-member General Committee.
All will serve through the time of the AACC's next Assembly in about five
years' time.

Thus the AACC goes forward with the following leadership:

The Rev. Dr. Nyansako-Ni-Nku, Presbyterian, Cameroon, President.

Vice Presidents:

East Africa - Ms Hellen Wangusa, Anglican, Uganda
Northern Africa - H.E. Metropolitan Seraphine, Greek Orthodox
(Alexandria), Egypt
Southern Africa - the Rev. Gertrude Kapama, Presbyterian, Malawi
West Africa - Rev. Dr. Simon Kossi Dossou, Methodist, Benin

All play an important AACC leadership role while continuing in their
current positions.  They will work closely with the Rev. Dr. Mvume
Dandala, Methodist, South Africa, General Secretary.  On the job since
Sept. 1, he is the AACC's top staff member, based at headquarters in
Nairobi, Kenya.  G.S. is a full-time salaried position.

-end-

Carol Fouke-Mpoyo  AACC

AACC Media Team: (011) 237 966 3059 or 3063 through 11/29
Thereafter: AACC Communications, Nairobi: 254 20 444 1338/9
In the U.S.: 212-870-2252; In South Africa: 27 82 784-7693

---
Send E-mail address changes to: nccc_usa@ncccusa.org