From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ACNS3693 ARCIC Co-chairman to step down

From "Anglican Communion News Service" <acnslist@anglicancommunion.org>
Date Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:43:20 -0000

ACNS 3693     |     LAMBETH PALACE     |     29 NOVEMBER 2003

ARCIC Co-chairman to step down

[ACNS source: Lambeth Palace] The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan
Williams, has received the resignation of the presiding Bishop of the
Episcopal Church (USA), Bishop Frank Griswold, as Anglican Co-chair of
the Anglican-Roman Catholic International Commission. Following recent
events in the life of ECUSA, Bishop Griswold has written to the
Archbishop of Canterbury to announce his decision, in the interests of
"not jeopardizing the present and future life and work of the
Commission". In his response, Archbishop Williams thanked Bishop
Griswold for his "outstanding labour and commitment." The text of the
letters is below.

ARCIC began work in 1970, following the historic meeting of Archbishop
Michael Ramsey and Pope Paul VI in Rome in 1966. It has produced agreed
statements on many of the questions that have divided the Roman Catholic
Church and the Anglican Communion, particularly in the areas of
Eucharist, Ministry and Authority. Bishop Griswold has been the Anglican
Co-chair since 1998. The Roman Catholic co-chair is Archbishop Alex
Brunett, Archbishop of Seattle. A new Anglican co-chair will be
appointed by the Archbishop of Canterbury, after consultation with the
Secretary General of the Anglican Consultative Council.

Text of the letter from Bishop Frank Griswold:

My dear Rowan,

Given recent events in the life of the Episcopal Church in the United
States, and the strain they have caused in the relationship between the
Holy See and the Anglican Communion, I wish to submit my resignation as
Anglican Co-chair, and member of the Anglican Roman Catholic
International Commission. I do so not without regret, but in the
interest of not jeopardizing the present and future life and work of the
Commission of which I was privileged to be a member.

With continuing prayer for the full and visible communion of the
Anglican and Roman Catholic churches, for the sake of our broken and
divided world, I am,

Yours sincerely in Christ,

The Most Revd Frank T. Griswold
Presiding Bishop and Primate
Episcopal Church, USA

Text of reply from Archbishop Rowan:

Dear Frank,

This is to confirm formally that I have received the notice of your
resignation from ARCIC. As you will know, I am very sorry that this has
seemed the best course, but I cannot let the moment pass without paying
tribute to your outstanding labour and commitment in this context over
many years. Thank you for all you have done for this crucial dialogue.

With every blessing,

+Rowan Cantuar